Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Log Tipi Build-Along...

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,792 Posts

Default Log Tipi Build-Along...

Hi all,

I am posting this as an effort to ensure that I don't just start this project and then blow it off to do something else

Here's the deal. For awhile now I've wanted to build a shelter in the woods on family land. I had a couple when I was younger but they've since either gotten knocked down, burned down, blown down, or rotted.

I found the ideal location for my tipi. This clearing is smooth, dry, and slightly sheltered from the wind and not entirely visible from the road due to a screen of hawthorn, witch-hazel, tulip poplar and greenbriar near the edge of the trees. It is close enough to a water source to save time and energy, but not so close as to be soggy or clammy. It is close enough to home that we can all walk there and carry gear in on foot or ATV, but far enough that it is unlikely that it will be defaced by drunken hooligans (not knocking drinking, just the type of people who destroy carefully made shelters) . You can see the slight windbreak of poplar trees where my coat is lying:

IMG_20130108_163049.jpg by Stagdag1, on Flickr

The clearing where I am siting my tipi is created by this enormous pine tree. Another, larger one recently fell in a windstorm nearby, providing me with plenty of boughs for thatching my shelter. I could, of course, build a lean - to using the fallen tree, but it was awfully close to the property line and I wanted a shelter that can be heated with a stove or small fire...big enough for four people, and simple enough for me to construct on my own in a few days' time. The tipi - shaped debris shelter shines in that regard. Other similar shelters include the wikiup (wigwam) and the simple leaf cave. However...the lean - to has a poor thermal retention, unless you build (and feed) a longfire throughout the night, the wikiup is really a better group project, and the leaf cave debris shelter is not only impractical at this time of year (no dry leaves), but would also be too cramped for my purposes:

IMG_20130108_163033.jpg by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Tipi debris shelter: Day One:

I have one longer central forked pole and two shorter "fill" poles cut so far. On Saturday I will continue cutting poles and erecting the frame. On Sunday I will thatch and insulate it:

IMG_20130108_163011.jpg by Stagdag1, on Flickr

Keep me accountable, peeps!
    PMZ
    Last edited by Trekon86; 01-10-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 555 Posts

Way to go Trek. Keep at it and post pics of progress.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudraker For This Useful Post:

Elder
    Thanks

It will have an 8' inside diameter floorplan with a central rock ring and raised beds inside, if all goes well.

I plan on making it a little bit inside the semicircle of poplars so that I can utilize them as a cooking or utility area and still take advantage of them as a windbreak.

PMZ

Scout
    Thanks

Very cool, nice spot! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Elder
    Thanks

...And the doorflaps will face east, since most winds blow from the west.

PMZ

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,137 Times in 2,357 Posts

The day you feel you have to defend using the term "drunken hooligans" is the day you need to reconsider if you give a damn about who you upset.

That being said Good on you for getting started. I'll look forward to seeing how it turns out. I'll make a note of this thread and be sure to publically harass you if we don't see updates
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome project man. Semi permanent shelters are always fun projects. I look forward to seeing your progress on the build.
    Sagewood Gear

"Where there is a will, there is a way, and there is always a way."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,113 Times in 3,061 Posts

OK we're all watching . No backing out now . So what are you going to do today ?
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

13. The Following User Says Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Elder
    Thanks

Today I was at work

Tomorrow (Saturday) I will work on the shelter, rain or shine
    PMZ

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,290 Posts

As someone who has done this in their youth, I see one of 2 paths for you. Path A I see blisters from swinging the axe to chop the trees, but filled with determination you do not give up. Path B I hear a Husquavarna running for about 20 minutes and the crack of an aluminum can quenching the thirst of a hard working bushcrafter who will be done with his project by noon and be sleeping off the rewards next to a nice warm fire later that night.

Yeah Yeah I know there are other paths but those are the 2 I remember, Ahhh great times!!!

Oops it apears I have enjoyed one too many of those liquid rewards and kind of just skimmed along I though you said TIPI man those are a @#%$! Now the Debri shelter what can I say "Got Leaves!" Never mind the drunken fool in the corner. Looks like a good spot look forward to following your progress!
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 01-12-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast