Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: handle designs and Materials questions...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 152 Posts

I like Jade G10 and wood with a lot of figure. I like a handle design like the orange knife, plain and simple suits my tastes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mjf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 373 Posts
    Items for Sale

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for putting the feelers out !

My preferences follow Mors Kochanski's ideas very close.

For example:
    • Full tang construction with blade thickness of 5/32 inch (difficult to break).
    • A blade height of 1.0 to 1.1 inches as measured from the spine to cutting edge.
    • Tip of the blade lines up with the center line of the handle or somewhere between the back of the blade (spine) and the center line of the handle.
    • Blade length about as long as the width of the hand (~4.0 - 4.25 inches, OAL about 8.5 inches)
    • Crisp 90-degree angles on the spine of the knife blade so that it may be used for scraping tasks and such.
    • No guard with minimal choil/ricasso area (if at all).
    • Handle length about as long as the width of the hand (~4.0 - 4.25 inches, OAL about 8.5 inches)
    • An oval shaped handle that is not too thick or to thin. (No Goldilocks and the Three Bears jokes here )
    • Durable pommel (butt plate) if possible.
    • Very plain and smooth handle configuration made of micarta in earth tone colors with wood and antler as second options.

Good examples with these desirable features include Ray Mears/Alan Wood Woodlore knife, Rod Garcia's SBT, and many of Andy Roy's Fiddleback Forge knives.

Mark

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,154 Times in 2,663 Posts

I donít care for finger groves or fancy colors rather prefer forest green, coyote brown, black etc etc. Sometimes orange for high visibility. I prefer a shape that is comfortable for the greatest number of tasks. I care not for disco aka flashing things. I like tools.

Tracker
    Thanks

Default handles

Lisa,

I have a Bark River Gunny (ramples) with a forest green linnen micarta handle. if you look at the handle it is contoured slightly to fit the hand. Also at the butt of the handle there is a slight curve which i feel helps in different grips ( and gives stability to the user). I do NOT however like deep finger contours. Also the handle is quite filling for the hand. and the linen micarta has a very subtle texture to it which i think helps. I am also an experienced cook and I have never liked knife handles that have sharp angles... ie the Wustof Classic.

I love the color that i have... but.... if you were to supply a class or group order, generally some streak of orange or neon green would help so that the blade doesnt get lost as easily if dropped in the woods. Not to take any ideas, but the Bark River knives have the ability to have two colors, one along the blade very thin and another on top. Although it would be just as easy to use a hunters orange paracord lanyard on the knife if concerned. so idk

Another interesting note for me at least, is that the pins (bolts) for the scales are a bit larger allowing for one to just cut a groove into the pins and replace the handles for different ones/ custom diy ones. (if the found an awesome oak burl on their property they just had to use).

http://www.crystalfallstradingco.com...iverknives.php
    Last edited by aldern.i; 01-12-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,409 Times in 923 Posts

A lot of you guys have mentioned Micarta, is G10 acceptable? Its a bit more expensive on my end but its so much easier to hand finish Comes in more colors too..
    Though I do like the burlap micarta Ive seen lately..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,541 Times in 373 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa West View Post
    A lot of you guys have mentioned Micarta, is G10 acceptable? Its a bit more expensive on my end but its so much easier to hand finish Comes in more colors too..
    Though I do like the burlap micarta Ive seen lately..
    Yes Lisa, G-10 is okay too. I really like the Desert Tan color as to me it resembles antler.

Mark

Thanks

There are so many beautiful handles out there. Some are just more practical then others on a worker.
    As an outfitter, I like G10 for the abuse that it can take over micarta.
    For raw, natural beauty (and the ole' fashion mountain man in me) I'd like to see a laminated G10 in close representation of stag or jigged bone slabs.

A knife that is built to last and take anything you throw at it; yet pleases the eye with a modernized age old appeal. Simple in blade design; quality edge holding steel; full tang construction; handle that fills the hand with removable scales; guard incorporated into the handle design; thickness and OA length large enough for camp duty yet still usable for the finer tasks on fish & game meats; lastly - a top quality sheath that protects, is comfortable in a variety of carry options, and will last !!

That my friend's would be a knife !

Thanks

I like the looks of wood and earth tones. No choil and no finger grooves. Perhaps a small guard and handle slopes to the edge, not just a 'drop.' Haven't found a purpose of spacers.

I do like the classic belt knife.

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

Default belt knife

I would be interested buying something along the lines of the belt knife it is stunning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12