Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signaling and Getting Found!

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willson View Post
    I understand the three shots. It's the last part I was wanting explained. That is basic firearm safety. The three whistle blasts could damage the rescuer's hearing too if I blow the whistle in their ear. A signal fire could start a forest fire if I am careless. I'm assuming I became lost, not brain damaged. :-)
    I agree that is basic firearm safety

But when lost for a few days with out food or water people can make poor decisions as if they were brain damaged.

You hear something, jump up and blast 3 rounds off to make sure its not too late but oops..

that kind of thing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BushMetal For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Advanced Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,231 Posts

Something Ive kicked around as a video project was actually fillming the seeable/hearable distance for all kinds of signals. everything from the red bandana tied out to signal mirrows hill top to hill top, Whistles, ect.

could make for an interesting colaboration of sorts of whats really seeable at what distances, from the air might be tricky, unless someones got a chopper, but hey could be a fun and lots of learning series
    YMOS, BST
    TRACKER PACKER - TWO ZERO

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Howie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a acr rescue beacon a little bigger than a cell phone gives wife peace of mind also have a good whistle and my mirror on my compass doubles as a signal mirror

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pawoodsman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good idea for a thread. Just got a Vector 1 signal mirror as part of a Christmas present to myself. Already had whistle, yellow and red bandanas. My family also have bright orange tube tents in their bags. Been thinking about a strobe light, but have to do some research on which to get. Any suggestions?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I made a bandana out of 3M 10 mile cloth (Blaze Orange) and carry it in my pack. It doesn't weigh much or take any room. I always carry a Storm Whistle (in Orange) as well. It's the loudest I have found. I have read many stories about people being found because they were wearing some Blaze Orange hat or clothing.

Storm Whistle.jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiddlehead For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I sometimes carry a piece of pvc electrical conduit (1") ~10.5" long in my gear. The flared end works best. I can play this like a horn and because there are two diameters it plays 2 different tones. It is my opinion that the tone of the horn carries for a greater distance than a whistle. (I still carry a whistle)

3/4", 1",1 1/2", even 2" will work. The greater the diameter the lower the tone and the longer the piece must be for good tone. Start with a longer piece and trim ~1/2" off until your satisfied with the sound. And yes you can take too much off. PVC is cheap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,637 Posts

I have a signal mirror, fox whistle, signal panel, small 3" chem light's along with 6" one's, signal flare's (aerial ). Flashlight, headlamp. And I have carried a red golf flag since I was a kid. ( it mysteriously appeared in my backyard pole in all)

Another item to think about is a dye marker, which when spread out on snow signals great from the air. Even better you can just use jello packets, which also can use as a warm drink.

Great thread Panzer thanks for starting it.
    BushClass Basic Certification: Required 10/13; Electives 6/5; Outings 0/5

Axe mob

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxfire For This Useful Post:

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,494 Times in 3,775 Posts

Something Ive kicked around as a video project was actually fillming the seeable/hearable distance for all kinds of signals. everything from the red bandana tied out to signal mirrows hill top to hill top, Whistles, ect.

could make for an interesting colaboration of sorts of whats really seeable at what distances, from the air might be tricky, unless someones got a chopper, but hey could be a fun and lots of learning series
    I have been wanting to do that too Howie! There is so much info and but not always real world applications to prove theory. Ground to air signals are a big one.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Panzer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Signal Mirror at Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Something Ive kicked around as a video project was actually fillming the seeable/hearable distance for all kinds of signals... everything from the red bandana tied out to signal mirrows hill top to hill top, Whistles, ect... whats really seeable at what distances, from the air might be tricky, unless someones got a chopper, but hey could be a fun and lots of learning series
    Here's what a signal mirror flashing looks like from a distance the submitter claims is "22 miles away". (To see this, you'll have to turn on the HD and go fullscreen- at that kind of distance it is kinda faint) Keep in mind that with a larger mirror and from a shorter distance, that flash would have to be bigger and brighter. I'll try and find a better vid to demonstrate this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_5P1qPFsk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Radio Matty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCbgQGmID4
    The author says the distances here are 0.7, 11.1, and 43 miles! And I've heard that st sea, a mirror can easily be seen from as many as 50 miles away. Could anyone with any Navy/Coast Guard training verify that?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Radio Matty For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast