Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian Tea

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,653 Times in 2,927 Posts

I remember drinking it. Must have been mid '70's

Quote Originally Posted by d-alex001 View Post
    what is this nonsense? I first heard this tea recipe)))) this recipe is similar to what that Chinese tea blend. In Russia, a classic drink black tea, sometimes add lemon or honey.

It has nothing to do with Russia at all other than it sounds exotic. Just like Canadian bacon has nothing to do with Canada. Just makes it sound special.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 663 Posts

I live in a community that is as Russian as you can get for being in the US of A. This was the capitol of of Russian America before the US purchased Alaska. There are still a great many Russian names in the phone book here. I teach spoon carving in a log building that was built by the Russians in 1805. For some reason something similar to the above recipe is served here every holiday season, including Russian Christmas which is celebrated here on Jan 7. Every year at holiday time folks break out their precious Russian samovars (very old tea makers) and fill them with the above concoction. I have a close friend who does a lot of museum research in Russia, and he tells me that on holidays they serve something that tastes much the same, but he doesn't know what's in it. -- Otherwise, as stated above, modern Russians tend to like really strong black tea. There is definitely some sort of connection between old Russian tradition and the recipe. I know it's nothing profound, just interesting. Jim

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crookedknife For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the reminder! and yes, it must be a 70's thing. My mother used to make it during the winter when I was a kid. I think it's time to whip up a a batch!

Guide
    Thanks

I seem to remember something called "Russian tea" but never had it. Now hot lemonade is something I did have as a scout. IIRC that was just a can of frozen concentrated lemonade made according to instuctions on the can and heated up over the fire.

OD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    I remember drinking it. Must have been mid '70's

It has nothing to do with Russia at all other than it sounds exotic. Just like Canadian bacon has nothing to do with Canada. Just makes it sound special.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12