Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Hard Apple Cider - Video Tutorial

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,830 Times in 2,313 Posts

Default Homemade Hard Apple Cider - Video Tutorial

I have promised a few folks here that I would make a video tutorial on how to make my prison hooch hard apple cider. This is a fairly sweet hard cider. It takes about 7 to 8 days from start to drink. It is about 7.5% alcohol by volume according to the measurements taken with a hydrometer. Most people seem to like it but it is possible they are just being polite . At any rate I like it.

This is the first part of the tutorial. I am not much of a video guy so you'll have to excuse my novice attempt at this video. I'll post up the rest as the cider progresses.

Just added part two.

Here is the final part.

Hard Apple Cider

You will need:

Required:

1 gallon jug
    Lid or stopper for jug that can accept an airlock
    Air Lock
    Half packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast (yellow packet)
    4 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate

Optional:
    2nd 1 gallon jug
    Syphon
    Wine stabilizer
    Sanitizer such as StarSan
    Funnel
    Pitcher

Basic Recipe (See the video for more details and tips):
    First sanitize your equipment by whatever means you choose. I prefer to use StarSan for this but you can use boiling water if you prefer.
    Second, thaw and add three cans of apple juice concentrate to your one gallon jug.
    Thirdly, add 7 cans (use the empty juice can as a measuring device) of warm water to the jug.
    Now, add half a packet of Red Star Champagne yeast. You can seal up the remaining portion to use on a later batch.
    Cap and shake vigorously. You will want to shake a little and carefully uncap to vent, and then continue shaking.
    At this point you will need to put the lid or stopper in and add the airlock.
    Put it on a shelf somewhere and let it sit for about a week. When the airlock indicates fermentation has stopped it is time to rack the cider. If you have a siphon now is when you will use it. I use a wine siphon but a length of food grade plastic tubing will work. If you do not have a siphon handy you can just pour it slowly, be very careful to transfer as little of the sediment off the bottom to the new container. If you have a second one gallon jug you will transfer the cider to this. If you do not have a second jug you can transfer it to a pitcher, clean your first jug and then transfer back to the first. Donít forget to sanitize everything at this step as well.
    Now replace the airlock. Let it set for another day or two. We will now do a final rack. I rack it back to my original jug but you can juggle it through a pitcher like before if you need to.
    Once it is in its final jug we will back sweeten. Add the final can of apple juice concentrate to the jug and shake it.
    At this point you can add a chemical stabilizer such as potassium sorbate to halt any further fermentation. I find that if it is going right into a refrigerator and will be consumed in a month or so this step is not needed. If I am doing a 5 gallon batch I will do this as it will begin to ferment the new sugar added in the back sweetening process.

Refrigerate and enjoy.
    Last edited by Lerch; 01-17-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 846 Posts

im getting

"this video is private"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BushMetal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BushMetal View Post
    im getting

"this video is private"
    Thanks, I just fixed it. Sorry about that.
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,991 Times in 912 Posts

Lerch brought a jug of this brew to a camp out last Nov. It got re named prison hootch as seen in my avatar. Good stuff and thanks for the video.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rescue2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sounds like a fun project. Thanks for the info and hope to make this soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiral For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The fermentation has completed so I will be shooting video in just a little while of the racking phase. This is day 5 since the batch was started. We are right on track. I'll try to get the video shot, edited and posted up tonight or tomorrow morning.
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Bushwhacker Bush Class Intermediate Certified Shnick's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,688 Times in 5,527 Posts

Subbed!
    Thanks Lerch...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shnick For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Memnos's Avatar
    Thanks

Looking forward to seeing what it looks like. I'm gonna try this soon. Thanks for the tutorial.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Memnos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just added part 2 of the video series to the first post of this thread.

Thanks for watching guys.
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Heading to the home brew place today to try this out. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to grizzlyjoe For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast