Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Hard Apple Cider - Video Tutorial

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,708 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rdraider View Post
    What's the alcy content on this concentrate stuff? I might have t give it a try!

haven't brewed in 6 years, been itching!
    I have tested multiple batches of this recipe using a hydrometer and it comes in around 7.5% abv. Maybe a bit more. The reason it breaks that 5% barrier that straight apple juice hits is that the juice we start with is still concentrated. I use 7 cans of water and 3 cans of juice. The correct ratio to reconstitute the juice would be 9 cans of water to the 3 cans of juice. I find starting with a concentrate gives it more apple flavor as well as more sugar for the yeast to convert to alcohol. It seems to me that that when I add enough sugar to break 9% or so the flavor of the alcohol overpowers the flavor of the apple. Most the store bought stuff is 5% so I figure 7.5% is plenty strong.
    Last edited by Lerch; 01-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    HardwoodsLeatherworks.com
    Hardwoods Leatherworks Vendor Forum

Turley Knife Club Member #143

"Some want to live within the sound of the church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell. " C.T. Studd

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 539 Posts

I have a recipe somewhere for an apple pie cider. Sounds really good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rdraider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 455 Posts

Question. If after back sweetening you bottle this like beer and wait a week before refrigerating shouldn't it come out carbonated? Have you tried anything like that?

Oh, and thanks for a great tutorial. I didn't know you could use concentrate!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GMScooter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by GMScooter View Post
    Question. If after back sweetening you bottle this like beer and wait a week before refrigerating shouldn't it come out carbonated? Have you tried anything like that?

Oh, and thanks for a great tutorial. I didn't know you could use concentrate!
    Oh boy. Did I find out the hard way about bottling. I have a very nice bottling setup. Nice press style capper and the works. I like to bottle in recycled WoodChuck bottles since they are short and stubby as opposed to long neck bottles. So here is the deal. After you back sweeten you can bottle but the bottles need to be refrigerated. If you leave them out the yeast will over-pressure the bottles and depending on the quality of your capping either brake the seals and whizz cider all over or EXPLODE and send glass dust into every nook and cranny in the room.

If you back sweeten and immediately refrigerate or add stabilizer you "should" be safe. The yeast will continue to ferment the cider a little in either case and will allow for it to be carbonated. The carbonation is different than that of a beer or store bought hard cider. It is more akin to the carbonation of Champagne. It has to do with the fact it is naturally carbonated as opposed to having compressed CO2 pumped into the bottles the way commercial products do.

As I have found anytime you bottle you do risk a catastrophic failure but sometimes it is worth it .

Good luck and keep me posted to your results.

Lerch

"Some want to live within the sound of the church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell. " C.T. Studd

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Dang it Lerch! Now I have to try out. I've done beer and I love hard cider. Of to the stout tomorrow I guess.... LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GMScooter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by GMScooter View Post
    Dang it Lerch! Now I have to try out. I've done beer and I love hard cider. Of to the stout tomorrow I guess.... LOL
    Hahaha, I've never made beer before but from what I understand this is way easier.

Thanks

Oh yes. This looks much easier. Faster too .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GMScooter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Have you ever had the fermentation take longer than 5 days? I followed the directions you posted. Used the same juice concentrate and the same Red Star yeast. I started my batch Friday night at 2100. I had planned to do the first rack today. When I checked the airlock a few minutes ago it is still perking away and does not appear to be slowing down. I have a thermometer next to the gallon jug and it is just about 61 degrees. If I allow it to go another day do you think there will be any trouble or problems? I added a little too much yeast. It was not half a packet, it was more like 2/3rds. Could that be what is causing the longer fermentation time? I would have thought it would have finished faster with more yeast. I have another batch going with a gallon of real cider from a local mill. That batch was started at about 1300 on Saturday and it is perking well. I am anxious to try the two batches and compare the differences.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisnapril For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,719 Times in 2,007 Posts

Well Lerch getting ready to start a batch, but I can't find my air lock. I know I had one, will postpone until I get some more parts. Thanks for the help earlier today.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to redmech For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnapril View Post
    Have you ever had the fermentation take longer than 5 days? I followed the directions you posted. Used the same juice concentrate and the same Red Star yeast. I started my batch Friday night at 2100. I had planned to do the first rack today. When I checked the airlock a few minutes ago it is still perking away and does not appear to be slowing down. I have a thermometer next to the gallon jug and it is just about 61 degrees. If I allow it to go another day do you think there will be any trouble or problems? I added a little too much yeast. It was not half a packet, it was more like 2/3rds. Could that be what is causing the longer fermentation time? I would have thought it would have finished faster with more yeast. I have another batch going with a gallon of real cider from a local mill. That batch was started at about 1300 on Saturday and it is perking well. I am anxious to try the two batches and compare the differences.
    Sorry for the slow reply, been crazy busy. Yes I have had it go longer. At 61 degrees I'd expect it to run a fair bit slower. Your right at the lower edge of the spectrum were fermentation will even occur. I keep mine in my main floor which holds about 70 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop be low 60 and it will pretty much cease producing at all. If you can bring the jug into an area that has a warmer temp things should speed up.

Also if you ask a question here and I miss it please PM me, it will go to my email right away and I should see it. I will try to respond as quick as possible. Keep me apprised. I am real interested to hear how they compare.

Edited to add: I changed my thread subscription so I should be emailed on any posts on this thread. Hopefully I don't miss any more questions here.
    Last edited by Lerch; 01-27-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast