Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a canoe camping tent

Thanks
    Thanked 10,834 Times in 2,773 Posts

My tarp is built out of a light canvass material and I use the term "liight" loosely . It was 108 inches by 10 feet and weighed 5 pounds .
    To use it for my tent I needed to add another 54 inches in width and two wings which I will describe later . Here it is doubled over with the wings sewn on .
    Small referance person is 3 feet tall .

Here it is rigged for winter . I use my poncho(not shown) made from the same material as the door .

Little stove made out of two stock pots . Im pretty pleased with it . I can use it almost as a fireplace too once draft is established .

Took the poncho up to the house to sew on two more tabs to use it with the welders blanket .

Interesting ,today I sat a couple of little logs on top the burner to dry them out and got distracted . A few moments later they were on fire but hey I did'nt care they were surrounded by the welders blanket .
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

2. The Following User Says Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I'm with PineMartyn on the sleeping and living areas. A tent is not a house. It's meant for sleeping, and you don't care about the view or the headroom when you are sleeping. Smaller tent requires smaller patch of suitable ground, keeps you warmer when the sky is clear, allows you to carry more of other things, requires less effort to put up and is much more resistant to wind. When you want to cook, view the surrounding scenery or whatever, set up a tarp and put something to sit on under it. It can be on much less even ground than is required for sleeping and your sleeping gear won't get in your way. Also, when camping with other people, it marks three zones: Public, which is all the ground around; Non-public, which is under the tarp, where you don't mind meeeting others but it's your territory; and Private, which is your tent, and nobody else has the right to look inside. Or maybe I'm just too obsessed with zonation in architecture

Thanks

like the others said if you solo, then try the hammock and a tarp.

I have a warbonnet Black bird 1.7 DBL it weigh about 37 oz and my Tarp is a Kelty Noah's 12 that is about 32 oz weight wise, and both are the size of a football loaded up.

Tracker
    Thanks

ever look into using a hammock instead?

Tracker
    Thanks

Seems like hammocks are the consensus. I have a Kodiak/ springbar-type tent and I LOVE it for truck camping. Ihave the larger size one. Every time I have used it, it rained. Sometmes for days. But I have never been wet in this tent. The heaviest part of this tent is the floor, whch s made from the same material as truck tarps. It does take up a bit of space packed and is heavy, and it ABSOLUTELY must be firmly staked as it relies on wall tension to stay erect. I would not reccomend this for canoeing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    someone's gotta say it... hammock if you canoe solo. can pull over anywhere to set up camp, even rocky, swampy, or cypress-knee-ridden ground. if two, it's hard to beat the NWWoodsman-style tarp (except for the lack of mosquito protection.

i personally go as light as possible even when not having to portage.

If the girl in the video comes with the tent, i'd go with that. otherwise, no... that thing looks huge, heavy, and as soon as you start talking about frame and "steel spring rods", you now have a critical part. if it gets lost or damaged, you're screwed. I prefer simple things i can repair with needle and thread, like a tarp.

just my two cents, ymmv.
    Great advise, I like the hammock in the summer but tougher here in Maine 9 mos of the year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12