Thread: Left handed compound bow for my 7 year old?

Thanks

Default Left handed compound bow for my 7 year old?

Hey all, thanks for reading.

My 7 year old daughter has taken a real liking to archery and has been asking me to get her a bow. I looked at several retail places and I have encountered the same issues over and over agian.

1.) Price: Let's face it, she is 7. I don't want to sped $300 on a fancy bow that is made for a lefty. Not until I know if she is going to stick with it at least.

2.) The bows that are called "right/left handed" or "ambidextrous" are still strung for a right handed shooter. The pulleys are canted slightly and brings the strings into play when shot by a lefty.

Any ideas? I have an 11 year old son that is also left handed and I might look for a bow for him as well.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me.

Thanks

I am going through the same with one of mine. Craigslist here sometimes has the lefty youth bows but the prices are almost as new.
    You have probably already checked, but if either is dominant in the right eye, that changes everything. That would allow the use of a righty bow. Everything I have read indicates that the eye dominance is something that you almost cannot get around in archery. My lefty son is pretty much ambidextrous and wants to shoot right handed, but I don't want to start him off and have to change later. That's where I am right now.
    PSE has an ambi recurve. It was out of stock everywhere before Christmas, when I first heard of it. It retails for about 40.00. It isn't the greatest bow,but I would like to have him try it out and see if shooting from one side or the other gives him any problems. Then I could go from there and get him a quality bow. I know you stated compound but, no one else responded, so I thought I would throw out my thoughts.
    Good luck. We have had issues with several different things, such as lefty catchers mitts.

Kevin

Thanks

I know of someone that has a Parker youth lefty; it's a solid set-up in excellent condition and would be a good fit for a youngster. Being that young may be challenging with compound bow weights & draw lengths; although this bow in particular adjusts from 35-50 lbs and 24-28" draw, I believe.
    PM me if you are interested and I will get you the contact information.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,569 Times in 4,045 Posts

Maybe skip the "compound" and go with a Youth recurve... if you can shoot a recurve straight, you can shoot a compound.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mac in mo View Post
    I am going through the same with one of mine. Craigslist here sometimes has the lefty youth bows but the prices are almost as new.
    You have probably already checked, but if either is dominant in the right eye, that changes everything. That would allow the use of a righty bow. Everything I have read indicates that the eye dominance is something that you almost cannot get around in archery. My lefty son is pretty much ambidextrous and wants to shoot right handed, but I don't want to start him off and have to change later. That's where I am right now.
    PSE has an ambi recurve. It was out of stock everywhere before Christmas, when I first heard of it. It retails for about 40.00. It isn't the greatest bow,but I would like to have him try it out and see if shooting from one side or the other gives him any problems. Then I could go from there and get him a quality bow. I know you stated compound but, no one else responded, so I thought I would throw out my thoughts.
    Good luck. We have had issues with several different things, such as lefty catchers mitts.

Kevin
    My 10 yo daughter wants a bow for her up coming birthday. Her request was "no wheels, I want one like yours". I have an old Ben Pearson recurve. Last June I did buy the ambi PSE from a local shop. As you said - not the greatest. But it is fun to shoot, everyone in the family can use it because it is ambi and not much money in it if something happens to it or if my daughter decides not to further pursue archery. Also, while she is interested we can work on her form with this lightweight bow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TomNickell For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Coming from a southpaw its hard to find one that is truly a left bow that small. I was able to learn on friends bows to shoot lefty with a righty bow. It took practice and lots of it but I can now shoot lwft or right I'm now truly ambidextrous. But I was only able to do it after yrs of practice. Now that I'm older its a lot easier to find left handed models but growing up in the 90's it was hard. Good luck brother and it is easier to start with a recurve like I did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Maybe skip the "compound" and go with a Youth recurve... if you can shoot a recurve straight, you can shoot a compound.
    Seeker has a good suggestion. If you decide to go with a recurve to online to The Sportsman's Guide at this link http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...=8&s=271&d=115 . Peruse through the bows and you will find several good bows for kids. I bought my son a PSE Razorback for less than $150.
    Last edited by swamprat; 01-22-2013 at 01:49 PM.