Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General bushcraft/climbing/hiking gloves...???

Thanks

Default General bushcraft/climbing/hiking gloves...???

So here I am outfitting my gear and waiting for spring, and I come across a hiking picture in Backpacker magazine of a guy wearing cool finger less gloves. While part of me hears my dads advice that gloves are good for two things; "wiping your butt and getting lost", the other part of me, (the James Bond/Bear Grylls side) makes me think I need to add them to my gear load out for general outdoor use. So....the hunt is on, finger less or full? Goat skin or cordura? Biking gloves or climbing?

I have no clue where to jump first on the subject so I thought the vast pool of experience here could teach me a few things. Let me know what you use or what you've found useful in the past. Pictures are excellent too! :-)

Mod Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,939 Times in 4,157 Posts

In my mind, it all depends on what your main use for the gloves would be, personally, if it's not too cold out, my favorite gloves are a pair of thin leather work gloves, these protect my hands, and allow me to touch my grill after its been in the fire.
    Nights camped in 2014---21, so far.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL------->http://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RangerJoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 217 Posts

I use fingerless biking gloves all the time when I'm hiking and using trekking poles. I found that they kept my hand from blistering up and gave me a better grip. Around camp and working with wood or a fire, I use leather work gloves(fully) fingered.
    Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance --Will Durant

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hiker Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker Boy View Post
    I use fingerless biking gloves all the time when I'm hiking and using trekking poles. I found that they kept my hand from blistering up and gave me a better grip. Around camp and working with wood or a fire, I use leather work gloves(fully) fingered.
    This is what I'm leaning towards. I would say I'm not looking for warmth as much as use for times when you don't want to beat yourself up. Gathering firewood, sliding on scree, climbing over rocks and trees etc... Dexterity would be the name of the game for me, nothing worse than baggy gloves.

Sent from an Undisclosed Location using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 258 Posts

I've always carried the Firm Grips with a leather palm that I got from Home Depot. Lately I've moved to full leather (Deerskin) work gloves. I think they provide protection against hand injuries that would generally be a nusance on the trail. I can also cook on the fire easier.

Of course, I'm in the computer industry these days. My hands stay too soft and prone to thorns and splinters. Not like the aircraft maintenance days when my hands were hard enough to use as a cresent wrench.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GA_MTN_MAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 681 Posts

One word:

HexArmor - http://www.hexarmor.com/
    "I'm just a goat, who's halfway through eating itself..."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobra For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I keep mechanics gloves in my packs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunner65 For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 688 Posts

Unless I need gloves for warmth (in which case I use mittens that fold back to reveal fingerless gloves, I think cabelas?) I use the mechanics typve glove with teather palm and fingers. They provide a nice level of protection without too much loss of dexterity. I like the plain black with tan leather available at wallyworld they cost 14.00. I also like the plain unlined leather work gloves if it's somewhere in between weatherwise.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to wingnuts For This Useful Post:

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,221 Times in 3,040 Posts

Wells Lamont for not beating up my hands any more than they are. You start to get down to layers for cold weather. Climbing is something more. As RangerJoe said what do you actually need them for?

Here's mine for camp.

Here's what Rheinhold Messner wore that mountain, whichever it was.

Here's what I wore in school and still do when messing about with the smoker.

The ones I wore today came from Costco and are great for layering with a pair of woolies over the top that were AF issued and given to me by my grandfather.

Why are you waiting for Spring?
    Tracker Pack # 18

Tracker
    Thanks

For most uses I carry either a pair of Nomex gloves, they really allow you to get a good feel for what you are doing and are not too heavy. I also have a pair of Mechanics gloves for the same reason. When I don't need as much I have a pair of fingerless BMX gloves that really do the job.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast