Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General bushcraft/climbing/hiking gloves...???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    One word:

HexArmor - http://www.hexarmor.com/

Cobra, Nice gloves but have you used them if so wich ones do you reccomend. They have a few styles.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

I just use the plain old White Mule leather work gloves for wood gathering and working around the fire to protect my hands. I use the wool half-finger/mitten combo "glomits" for keeping warm, which are available at most sporting goods stores and even K- and Wal-Marts.
    I used to use climbing gloves for rock climbing, but don't climb anymore.
    Get something you like, and use them. Just get out there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikejd View Post
    Cobra, Nice gloves but have you used them if so wich ones do you reccomend. They have a few styles.
    I've tried a couple different styles of Hexarmor gloves & find them to be sized weird. I can fit into Mechanix Large gloves & they conform to my hand, perfectly. The Hexarmor felt too narrow, around the palm/thumb & fingers were too long. That was size L, I got the waterproof gloves in XL & they're pretty good, but not for fine dexterity, for me.

I work with tools & fine wires, all day, every day & my best combination is Mechanix with the leather palm, combined with those hunter's mitts, with the fold back mitten & fingerless interior. I also like that they come with a pocket for a chem warmer, but don't care for it on the outside of the fingers. I prefer to be able to hold the chem warmer in my palm & wrap my fingers around it.

Just my opinion.

Here are a couple links.

1)The large size gloves that didn't fit me well.

2)The waterproof gloves that were pretty decent.

You'll need sunglasses to look directly at the waterproof ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 153 Posts
    Items for Sale

I also use my Wells Lamont gloves for wood work, cooking ect. I use my trusty TNF fleece gloves that I cut the fingers off of for general use. And a pair of windproof fleece gloves for when it is cold.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them." George Mason

THE AXE MOB

Guide Supporter Long John Tinfoil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 940 Posts

Out and about in cold but not frigid weather I wear a deerskin work glove. At work this time of year I wear wool fingerless Ragg wool gloves and I put a pair of synthetic knit(?) gloves with a rubber(?) coating on the palm and fingers for mucky, greasy situations over top. In warmer weather I sometimes use a mechanics fingerless glove for some work situations.

Of all the various gloves I've used, the ones that I would recommend for what you're describing would be an all-leather pair of fingerless that I got at a marine outfitter. I never had any blisters, hot-spots or rope-burns when using them to handle lines and crank winches sailing in club races.

LJT

Banned Member
    Thanks

I would like to find a nice pair of gloves myself. I have always used any heavy leather work glove that fit good. I'll have to check out the mechanics gloves.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,198 Times in 1,226 Posts

Honestly, I get cheap leather gloves in the gardening dept at a box store. I dont use them climbing or hiking, but for wood gathering & processing, things like that. I dont hike with gloves-if its cold outside, I get those same mittens that fold back, that someone else mentioned. I have waterproof overmitts for them, just in case, too. I have worn that combo down to 0, with no issues. But, working with sharps, and gathering, I go through $5 leather gloves, about once a year.
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks

Im surprised by everyones answers... Ive been on the hunt for a few weeks now and have come across all kinds of gloves, bit i guess i ruled out plain old leather gloves without thinking. The price is good, but for dexterity and long-wearing comfort i was thinking of something more....problem is that something more doeant come cheap! These things are pricey!
    Does anyone feel atrongly about 1/2 or 3/4 length fingerless gloves? I keep coming across them but cant get past the thought that beating up my fingertips wouldn't be very fun.

Sent from an Undisclosed Location using Tapatalk....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 761 Posts

Another vote for the fingerless rag wool gloves. I found some with rubber gripper dots on the palm that are great. I find that, personally, cold hands make any trip less fun, so I bring them on all my trips.

I'm also a fan of the basic leather work glove. I started bringing a pair on many trips because they are useful to protect my hands when handling a hot pot and when doing rough work chopping wood. Going to see if I can waterproof them with Sno Seal. (Footnote: In my area it's become impossible to find a decent pair of basic leather work gloves - or, really, any gloves - that are made in US. Suggestions?)

Tracker
    Thanks

Here's what Rheinhold Messner wore that mountain, whichever it was.

Rheinhold Messner did'nt need oxygen to summit Everest. He da MAN! He probably just put on gloves for a promotional shot.
    But back to the original post; there are more gloves than ever to chose from. I also like the leather palm, but stretachable finger type from Home Depot. But the best I ever have owned was when I traded a deer skin to a tanner for a pair of deer skin gloves that fit like custom. In other words, sized like 9, 9 1/2, etc., not M and L. Those type of tanners and traders are still around, and not to hard to find with the internet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast