Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General bushcraft/climbing/hiking gloves...???

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 2,785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pirogue View Post
    Rheinhold Messner did'nt need oxygen to summit Everest. He da MAN! He probably just put on gloves for a promotional shot.
    He's an absolute inspiration to me. I haven't read his books but have seen every film he as ever been in or talked about him. This guy watched his brother die on a climb and still continues on. It actually was hard to find a pic of him with gloves on for real haha, he's hardcore people for sure.

Back on topic, that is why I posted his pics, and asked what the OP needs them for more exactly. Messner is gonna need a different pair or more likely several layers than most of us when we hike or climb or bushcraft. There is no general glove for this. Will it be cold? Will it be arctic cold? Just nippy? Will you be banging up your hands making a fire and cutting stuff up? Are you at risk of injury of some kind without them?
    Tracker Pack # 18

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 491 Posts

For basic camp work (gathering, splitting, etc) I use deerskin leather gloves from Tractor Supply. They run about 20.00 uninsulated and when I get a new pair I wet them in warm water and wear them until dry. I end up with a nice custom fit with no blisters during break in.

For cold weather hiking I have Ragg Wool Fingerless with a waterproof overmit if needed. I also wear wrist warmers in cold weather under the fingerless gloves. I even have a pair of fleece that I can work into the mix. In other words, I layer and how cold determines how many layers.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cellis View Post
    Wells Lamont for not beating up my hands any more than they are. You start to get down to layers for cold weather. Climbing is something more. As RangerJoe said what do you actually need them for?

Here's mine for camp.

Here's what Rheinhold Messner wore that mountain, whichever it was.

Here's what I wore in school and still do when messing about with the smoker.

The ones I wore today came from Costco and are great for layering with a pair of woolies over the top that were AF issued and given to me by my grandfather.

Why are you waiting for Spring?
    What kind of gloves are the red ones? The kind of look like The Lodge Dutch Oven Gloves.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,655 Posts

I've got a buncha' different kinds, including some work versions.

For outings, I tend toward just three pair (not at once, usually):

1. Mid-weight goat leather, for general hand protection.

2. Merino wool, for warmth. I've actually got two versions: one with "half-fingers" and the other with "hinged" mitten covers (they velcro back against the back of the gloves when not used.

3. Goretex, insulated gloves, for worst weather.

Thanks

3 $ US military wool liners keep me warm into the teens. Wool glo-mitts layered over for colder weather. I climb every day, and the best gloves are Atlas nitrile for ropework
    Last edited by longknives; 11-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks

I used to do be a logger, the gloves I found to be the best for me as far as durability, comfort, and being able to pick up small chainsaw parts was a must. In the winter I would just add a pair of the .99 cent brown mule gloves and my hands stayed warm for the most part all day long. They usually lasted me 6 weeks of rough wear, so for what you want they should last a long time. I also have a pair of their winter glove I us on my personal time.

http://www.mechanix.com/hardware/material4x-original

http://www.mechanix.com/cold-weather/winter-armor

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sargedog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,158 Times in 1,052 Posts

I find gloves to be really handy out in the field. I keep a 10.00 pair of pigskin work gloves with me, they're doing great. In the shop, I use a 2.00 pair of harbor freight work gloves, yeah the cheap ones. They've held together for five months so far. Being dunked in water, handling hot iron, catching grinder sparks. Buy something that works and get the most out of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 436 Posts

Default Cheap Glove Mod!

Just because we love modding things . ...

I got used to carrying my gloves on a carabiner when I was a young pretty Marine. These days I just use the cheap deerskin full leather gloves, but I missed the convenience of having them hanging off my gear.

So, I stuck holes in them near the wrist and put some 1 inch loops of paracord through the holes. No need for grommets or anything fancy. Now I can hook the small paracord loops on the carabiner and clip the gloves on a belt, pack strap, etc ... so they are there when I need them.

I used to wear the Mechanix type gloves for working on trucks, but I don't like them in the woods around the fire. The stretchy part is synthetic, and it does not react well to hot stuff. And the gloves are really hard to get off fast when that happens. ouch.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Code Red For This Useful Post:

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 2,785 Posts

Those are pottery kiln gloves, meant to withstand high temperatures. Probably similar to dutch over gloves but probably more heavy duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjall View Post
    What kind of gloves are the red ones? The kind of look like The Lodge Dutch Oven Gloves.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Thanks

mechanic style gloves such as wells lamont has at walmart

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast