Thread: Planning first bow

Thanks

Default Planning first bow

After seeing Lebeef's shave horse in the self made forum, I've decided to quit stalling and make my first bow. I'd like to make a flat bow, around 50 lbs. I'm wondering if anyone has used Pine Hollow Longbows for supplies, and if you were satisfied. Also, having never built a bow before, would I be better served by one of his flat bow kits, or should I just take the leap and buy a stave? I've already got plans for a tillering jig, etc.

Thanks

Hey sash, what do you know of making a bow? Have you read and study what type you like?
    I'd first buy a board from a good lumber suppy. Ash, white oak, red oak, hickory, Ipe, ect. Its not that big of a deal to get the wood to what you'll buy a lot more $$ for and you'll do it all yourself. Theres several forums on just bows, I'd ck them out and read a lot before you begin. there's a how to build along @ http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/i...board,6.0.html
    If you need more info PM me. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder1958 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

heres a great website for beginning do it yrselfer bow builders
    http://poorfolkbows.com/index.html
    good luck and let us know how its coming
    nothing like making yr own bow
    but be careful, it can become an addiction....

as for pine hollow-mike yancy is a great guy-you cant go wrong doing business with him
    he also offers bow building classes if yr in the area-master bowyer he is-
    Last edited by sadiejane; 01-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadiejane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the info, guys! I've been an archer for 40 years, but have always used factory bows (Ben Pearson, Hoyt, etc.) I have an uncle that made me a nice Osage Orange bow, and it kind of got me thinking that maybe I could do it, too. I've been reading on the subject, but I'm always trying to learn more. I'll check out the sites you suggested, and maybe try a board bow for a first effort.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 508 Posts

I find that you can't go wrong with hickory if you make a board bow. Personally I love making board bows, they are much easier to make and if made right will perform on par with any other bow out there. I have a couple of board bows that I wouldn't hesitate to hunt any animal in North America with. I've even hunted Moose with them.

Thanks

I got a video from Rudderbows that I'd send you if you'd send it back when your done. It's not the best vid, but it might get you going faster. It didn't for me, I just started scraping wood and checking the tiller, scrape, check tiller, scrape.....
    It your a bit more "craftsman" like, a stave or even a straight grain board from HomeDespot could be a fine first try.
    I need a bit more help, and thus got a "you finish" kit.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I've made lots of bows and a hickory board is a great place to start. A seasoned osage orange stave is even better. A lot of new people don't want to use a "good piece of osage", but it's the easiest to learn with and your first result will be better. Just take your time, get advice and try to find a mentor if possible.

Good luck!