Thread: Help identifying wool clothing?

Thanks

Default Help identifying wool clothing?

I've greatly enjoyed the "Thrift store, yard sale, great deal find thread". It's so much fun to see what other members have found in thrift stores and then go looking myself. I've found plenty of good wool sweaters, but I haven't found any shirts or pants. Everything I pick up that looks 'outdoorsy' is cotton.

I was wondering if folks would be interested in posting photos of the various types of wool pants and shirts you own as examples of what to look for in a thrift store. Everything from sporting to military. Quality brand names would be helpful as well, there seem to be a lot mentioned I haven't heard of. I don't know how to cross post so I'm not sure if I should have posted this question over there, or if there is a similar thread here. Maybe a sort of photo archive? I know we love photo threads.

Here's a pic of the sweaters I've found. The one from the gap still had tags on it. Couple of Eddie Bauer. One American eagle quarter zip, one Owen Blower(?) made in the UK, and a Newton Trading Co. All are in good condition.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. Hope this isn't a repost question.

IMG_2576.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to barkeep8 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Pendleton brand is a no brainer. The older ones, as most wool, took special laundry handling. So if you find some in a thrift store, remember that an XL size, in laundried incorrectly, may have shrunk to a M size.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 584 Posts

Default Some of the wool garments I bought at discount stores.

Good for you for scouring the discount stores, Barkeep8.

Here are photos of just some of the wool garments Iíve purchased just in the last few years at discount stores (Salvation Army, Value Village, Good Will, etc). Almost all of my wifeís wool garments were also purchased this way. The secret is to go often, go regularly, and to look in both the menís and womenís clothing sections, and in all sizes, from SM to XXL. Items are routinely put on the wrong racks or moved around by customers.

Menís heavy 100% wool Woolrich shirt in size large. $8 at Salvation Army

Ladyís 100% wool Codet Jacket in size large. $10 at Salvation Army

Menís 100% heavy wool military pants in size large. I actually got these from an army surplus store for half price, but have seen almost identical pairs in discount stores.

Menís 100% wool heavy wool pants in size large. Similar to the ones above, but these cost me $6 at Salvation Army.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 01-18-2013 at 10:46 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 584 Posts

Default A few more examples of wool garments purchased at discount stores.

Here are a few more examples of great deals I got on wool garments.

Menís military 100% heavy wool sweater in size Large. $4 at Canadian tire.

100% Merino Wool Base layer by Yukonwool in size Large. $4 at Value Village.

100% medium thickness wool pullover sweater by Alps Rugged Outdoors in size XL. $4 at Salvation Army.

100% heavy wool zippered turtleneck sweater by Columbia in size XXL. This was given to me by a friend who was about to toss it out because it had shrunk down to about a large.

A lined wool cap (The same friend was going to toss it out). 100% wool fingerless gloves and 100% wool socks were each $1 at Salvation Army

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I usually just look at the tags. But I've found that you kind of develop a "feel" for wool the more you find and get. I can walk pretty quickly down the aisles of a bargain store, running my hand along the clothes and pick out the wool or wool blend stuff fairly easily. Some acrylic sweaters can be deceiving and don't forget that the merino or lamb's wool stuff feels different than regular wool, though it still has it's own feel that is different than cotton or synthetic stuff.
    I make it a regular quick stop and have found quite a few treasures, though I'm still hoping for my first wool pant find.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Western For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 Times in 763 Posts

Western took the words right out of my fingers! I also go by feel when looking for wool garments in thrift stores. You want to give them a thorough look over, however, as many have moth holes or patches or stains, or are worn through around the elbows or collars.

Another brand to look for is Patagonia, namely for the merino wool underlayer type garments.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,870 Times in 602 Posts

For Merino base layers, look for Italian makers and anything that say dry clean only. These are always clues for wool