Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking pet peeves......

Thanks

Default Backpacking pet peeves......

My big pet peeve when out and about is running into someone on the trail or in the woods. I like feeling secluded when I'm out. When I hear voices it just ruins my day. And traffic...I don't like traffic.....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Papa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 575 Posts

Seeing other people doesn't bother me. They have just as much right to be there as I do. I don't want to see the garbage that others leave, especially toilet paper. I have seen that a lot more in the the Boundary Waters lately.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 952 Posts

I don't so much mind seeing people as I do homeless people that have chosen to squat on a piece of land and then think they have some sort of claim to it.
    Some of them get very pushy and demanding. Almost had to put one guy down on a fishing trip a buddy and I took up to Mount Hood one spring. Made for a very tense weekend to say the least.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to injun51 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah I'm not too crazy about litter either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Papa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by injun51 View Post
    I don't so much mind seeing people as I do homeless people that have chosen to squat on a piece of land and then think they have some sort of claim to it.
    Some of them get very pushy and demanding. Almost had to put one guy down on a fishing trip a buddy and I took up to Mount Hood one spring. Made for a very tense weekend to say the least.
    Exactly why I try to frequent more secluded areas...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papa For This Useful Post:

gram weenie Supporter justin_baker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,362 Times in 883 Posts

I get annoyed when I see fire rings all over the place away from camp sites. There is no reason to make a ring of rocks for your fire. If you are camping off trail then please don't make a fire ring or disassemble it after! I have hiked up some very remote river/creek canyons and found fire rings that were so old that they didn't have any coals left in them, but they are going to remain there forever or until someone disassembles them. It makes the experience feel less wild and remote.

I also don't like when people wear extremely bright clothing that burns your eyeballs just by looking at it.

I hate trash as well. One of the most common things I see is people throwing their tin cans into a fire pit and leaving them there.
    Last edited by justin_baker; 01-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,663 Posts

People are everywhere in the Adirondacks I try to go in on a wed or Tue to fend off the weekend peak baggers
    One flew east
    One flew west
    One flew over the Campfire

AXE MOB Turley club member#92

Tracker
    Thanks

Default bright colors, bums, trash

Bright colors are okay I don't mind. people poach and have private land bordering state land where I'm from and wearing bright clothing is very smart especially if you are hiking on state land that also allows hunting. I personally don't wear bright colors except when hiking on state land during those grey times in between seasons and I try to always wear them when I'm trail running.

I never see bum.

And I hate hate hate litter, including spent shells, foam worm containers, beer cans, stupid energy wrappers, cigarette butts etc...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aldern.i For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, if you guys came across a brightly dressed homeless guy talking to himself and putting toilet paper and other trash into a fire ring he just built, it would REALLY ruin your day...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 421 Posts

My biggest pet peeve, is untrained dogs off leashes. I like dogs, don't get me wrong. I don't mind a well trained dog off the leash either. What I do mind is spastic dog with little to no training off their leashes running up and down the trail the owner screaming at them etc.

I have some sympathy for the dogs, they are happy to finally be out and enjoy nature it is not really their fault, but the owners I tend to bitch out for their irresponsibility and lack of concern for other hikers. More than once I have been confronted by unleashed spastic dogs who seemed ready to try an attack me. A few tossed rocks in the dogs direction and a smack on the ground in front of them with my walking stick drove the dog off. When I finally came upon the owner I had some words with them about how they need to train or leash their dog.

Another peeve or issue I have, folks barging into a campsite unannounced and uninvited. A little camping etiquette goes a long way, if your coming up on another's camp announce yourself. "Ho, camp" or even just a "hello there" goes quite a ways in making the other folks feel more comfortable with you coming for a visit. Important thing though, don't over stay your welcome, if your not invited to stay then don't. Say hello, ask any questions needed, and move on. Don't assume that you can just hang out with someone because your both out camping. If invited to stay and hang out then if you feel like it stay and hang, but let the camp your in invite you to stay don't just make yourself comfortable and occupy their space.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast