Thread: Sloyd carving techniques?

Scout
    Thanks

Default Sloyd carving techniques?

Sloyd is an old Swedish method of teaching incorporating industrial arts in a holistic curriculum. Mora knives are basically sloyd knives. They use a lot of carving techniques that incorporate built-in safeties to prevent one from cutting oneself. I know about a couple of these like the chest lever grip, but does anyone know of a more comprehensive description of the carving techniques?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redrob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 943 Posts

Interesting question. That is a potential topic for what I would see as a very cool book! When I was in the seventh grade in Northern Virginia, the wood shop (mandatory for boys in that grade) had a rack of Mora Sloyd knives with the hand tools. I'll bet that is long gone. For that matter I'll bet the wood shop is gone...
    Do something! You're dead a long time, and it's later than you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 32,969 Times in 4,544 Posts
    Items for Sale

Sort of hard for me to explain in words. It's pricey but there is what I consider a carving bible. "Swedish Carving Techniques" by Wille Sundqvist.

I finally could afford the book but unfortunately I naturally learned almost all of these different knife grips. You are correct that your body has built in safety stops for most cuts which is why they teach sloyd to 4 year olds

I learned almost all the grips by carving spoons believe it or not. Have you ever tried that before? It forces you into lots of different holding/grip technique and how to use your entire body as part of the knife mechanics if that makes sense.
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My Website The Axe is Bold as Love
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adahy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,969 Times in 4,544 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by x39 View Post
    Interesting question. That is a potential topic for what I would see as a very cool book! When I was in the seventh grade in Northern Virginia, the wood shop (mandatory for boys in that grade) had a rack of Mora Sloyd knives with the hand tools. I'll bet that is long gone. For that matter I'll bet the wood shop is gone...
    That's super interesting. Today knives in the US are considered 'weapons'.... if only the masses realized their real potential.. we could build our own homes again
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My Website The Axe is Bold as Love
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adahy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,786 Times in 7,572 Posts

In our Downloads section, under tools , you will find three or four works on Sloyd. Here is one to start with.

Elementary Knife Work 1906- Sloyd knife skills basic manual- some excellent skills and training exercises.

<http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/downlo...o=file&id=1356 >
    Nemo me impune lacessit !

Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    New Turley Knife Club Member #59

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,071 Posts

Go on the web and order:

Teachers' Handbook of Slojd as Practiced and Taught at Naas,
    Containing Explanations and Details of Each Exercise

This is actual Slojd instruction that has been reproduced from the original student textbooks and translated into English. It even has diagrams as to how to set up a Slojd classroom for students. I bought mine on the recommendation of Roy Underhill of the Woodwright's Shop from OPB. Very informative IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiddleWolf For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

Ben Orford has a new vid out demonstrating 8 different grips.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sotramk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adahy View Post
    That's super interesting. Today knives in the US are considered 'weapons'.... if only the masses realized their real potential.. we could build our own homes again
    Yes, and if only our collective sensibilities hadn't become so warped that we see the destructive potential of an object before the constructive potential.
    Do something! You're dead a long time, and it's later than you think.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to x39 For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Cool

Thank you for telling about the "sloyd" (spelling?) training. Can you tell me if this training is still part of the Swedish school curriculum?