Thread: Winter tree ID practice.

Threaded View

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,127 Times in 2,882 Posts

Default Winter tree ID practice.

Winter tree ID practice.

I find tree ID much harder during the winter months without leaves, nuts, fruits etc to help. Other trees like conifers are mostly the same during winter. So here are some I tracked down a few weeks ago during an overnight outing/hike. Naturally being no expert on all things tree my ID and methodology could be off. Not sure if practice makes perfect in my case but it doesnít hurt.

1. Maple.

Winter clues:

The bark does look like maple, maybe Swamp maple in this case. Also there is a blight or something on the bark which seems to be a maple issue within the area. Not 100% certain but thatís my best guess.

2. Northern Red Oak.

Winter clues:

The bark looks oakish and there are some branches with oak leaves still attached about the tree from late fall storms. Some oaks within my area will hold their leaves into winter. Like the maple I am not 100% sure.

3. Iron wood, Muscle wood, Blue beech and maybe a few other common names.

Winter clues:

The bark, size of the tree and shape of the trunk makes it distinctive no matter the season.

4. Black birch.

Winter clues:

The bark is well known to me. Someone could break off the ends of a branch and smell the Sweet birch which is another common name for the same tree.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Woods Walker For This Useful Post: