Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,002 Times in 871 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack

I just picked one of these up at the flea market today for $45, it's filthy, was used in A-stan but otherwise in perfect shape. Anyone have any experience with this pack? It seems about as bombproof as my Kifaru.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,002 Times in 871 Posts
    Items for Sale

Whoops! I meant to put this in packs and bags, I guess I shouldn't be posting at 3 am.

Thanks

you guys always make me jealous at the things you manage to find at flea markets.
    Only thing I've ever found was a wool blanket for 15$.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 500 Posts

Forty Five Bucks?!

Where is this flea market of which you speak?

Anyway, filthy or not, worn or not, forty five dollars for an MR Three Day Assault Pack is an outstanding find. If it's filthy take MR's own guidance and take it to a car wash and hose it down with the high pressure nozzle - no soap or wax please!

MR will repair just about anything wrong with one of their packs, for a price of course. MR's founder, Dana Gleason, got into the backpack business back in the 70's by repairing other's work and understands the need for quality repair work.

I own the MR Sweet Pea, which is the pack that was used as the basis for the Assault Pack development. These are outstanding packs - bombproof, very well designed and have one of the best suspension systems available. The Sweet Pea is the pack that is teaching me that zipper enclosed packs are OK (I'm normally a traditional top loading sort of guy). Check out MR's website on instructions on how to properly fit the pack.

Good luck, and let's have some pictures!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bharen For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I agree with the guy above me. Where in the hell are you guys going and finding hundred dollar packs for $45!?

Our flea markets just have the junk the antique stores won't take.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambu For This Useful Post:

75% Mountain Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,879 Times in 2,986 Posts

You got super lucky, those are incredible packs and I believe around $300 new. All made in the USA. Clean it up and ask about the stories it can tell you from where it has been. I have wanted one of those for a while.
    Tracker Pack # 18

Scout Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,690 Times in 532 Posts

Does your 3 day MR pack look something like this?

I have 2 MR and 1 old Dana Design pack and they are my favorites. They have never let me down and have been most comfortable packs for me. I have also been a Kifaru fan and use a Longhunter alot but the MR is more comfortable with heavy loads.
    The day I over loaded this pack with a good sized black bear boned out and half the hide plus all my gear for a 2 day trip was the day the MR earned my respect and became my favorite. I did the same with an early Kifaru and broke 2 plastic buckles on the shoulder straps, Kifaru now uses metal buckles where mine broke.
    Axe Mob Member
    Hardwoodsman #5

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cockeyedhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 172 Posts

Thatís a great pack and even better or the price. My last tour in Afghanistan I used my Mystery Ranch 3DAP. I did a lot of traveling via air and convoy and it was an excellent 3-day pack for my needs. Itís pretty much bomb proof. Congrats on a great deal!

I also have a few Kifaru packs. Much like MR, they are heavier due to their construction, but the suspension makes all the difference in the world when you have heavier loads. These are also much more robust packs when really doing off-trail hiking and bushwhacking; they will better handle scrapes, drops and snags.

ROCK6

Thanks

Great deal. I have been interested in one of those packs. You got that bag at an excellent price. I hope that you enjoy it!

Thanks

Wow! What a steal! Great find

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast