Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over done Jerky

Thanks
    Thanked 4,573 Times in 866 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AZExplorer View Post
    Its funny my mom use to make us jerky when we were kids all of the time. It wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I learned jerky wasn't suppose to be dry as leather. I actually prefer my jerky extra dry now. Im all about the flavor more than anything.
    Exactly. The flavor is where its at. It probably doesn't help that I am pretty sure its basically the salt that im addicted to..lol Sugar. I could go the rest of my life without. But SALT? oh no no no..

My marinade is an always evolving animal. But I usually stick to some basic ingredients.

-Soy
    -Worcestershire
    -black pepper
    -red pepper flakes
    -garlic/onion powder
    -sometimes Tabasco
    -liquid smoke
    -a dash of Old Bay

0120131208.jpg0120131208a.jpg0120131209.jpg
    "..honest to the point of recklessness,
    self centered to the extreme.."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VinoNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    If you want long term storage, then the more moisture that is out of the food being dried, the better. I like to put it in a food processor and grind it up into almost like a sawdust. I then put it into old pickle jars with lids. When I take it into the field I transfer it into a ziplock. I like to put it in a cup of hot water and make a soup. You can add local gathered edibles to it to make it even more fun.
    Or put a pinch between your cheek and gums.

Seriously, that is a fantastic idea!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VinoNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VinoNoir View Post
    Regularly, when I make a batch of jerky, I tend to forget about it as something usually comes up or I am busy with other things, and I am unable to "harvest" it until well after the preferred 9 hour mark (this most recent batch I made yesterday/last night was on for a good 13 hours).

This usually results in over dried jerky that has taken on a crispy texture, and actually has a crunch to it like a potato chip. I must add, the jerky is by no means tough or overly chewy at all. This has happened to me on a few occasions.

Now while one would think this is a tragedy or a waste, I've come to actually enjoy it.

Does or has, anyone done this? And am I the only one who actually likes it?
    I did that with my last batch and liked it. I don't think I would do it on purpose but you never know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to swamprat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Y' can't get it too dry. The original purpose was to make a light, non-spoiling meat product to store for future use. At a minimum it should break cleanly when bent.
    Living life in the PAST lane.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lepercan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I havent tried making jerky that dry yet but it seems like it would be ideal for use in making pemmican also.

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,822 Times in 2,312 Posts

Ive had "crispy" jerky and while not my favorite is totally palatable. The flavor really concentrates in it. I plan to make some pemmican this week using the method by Karen Hood in the Hood's Woods cave cooking series. I have never had real pemmican and am very curious. I was thinking the super dry jerky might work well with this method. Do you have any pics of the crispy jerky?
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
    Ive had "crispy" jerky and while not my favorite is totally palatable. The flavor really concentrates in it. I plan to make some pemmican this week using the method by Karen Hood in the Hood's Woods cave cooking series. I have never had real pemmican and am very curious. I was thinking the super dry jerky might work well with this method. Do you have any pics of the crispy jerky?
    I sure do. Just look up towards the beginning of the thread. Post #11

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,822 Times in 2,312 Posts

well crap.... Ok I totally missed the photos. Guess my cellphone's slow azz connection didnt load em up. Cool. Thanks
    Hardwoods Bushcraft Blog
    "When we are in hand-to-hand conflict with the world, the flesh, and the devil himself, neat little Biblical confectionery is like shooting lions with a pea-shooter; God needs a man who will let go and deliver blows right and left as hard as he can hit, in the power of the Holy Ghost. Nothing but forked-lightning Christians will count." C.T. Studd

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12