Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can mosquitoes bite through a space blanket?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 1,924 Posts

Mosquitoes home in on CO2 from exhalation and then zero in with heat. A Mylar blanket will not stop them from finding you, but will mess with them finding a place to bite

Sent from...
    "Now Im gonna to turn into a coyote and eat the Nabors cat." - M/BK

TP #TU SEFN /MACHETE MAFIA/BS #76

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,737 Times in 1,097 Posts

No, they cannot bite through it.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingCrow View Post
    On a rough trip to Ocracoke Island last summer I found relief by rolling up in a wool baja blanket at night. They were coming through everything I put between us until I rolled up in my Mexican blanket like a burrito with shoes and a bandanna on. I then slept soundly if sweatily. No-one else managed to get any sleep. I swear those mosquitoes wear helmets. When I woke up and unraveled, I saw a seagull and a mosquito in a fist fight on top of the dune and the mosquito had the reach advantage. If I'm lying you can shoot me.
    When I was down in GA kayaking on the Ogeechee, I would use Citronella essential oil. Lemon Eucalyptus works well, too.

Thanks

They generally cannot get to your skin through the mylar. If you keep one folded up for a long time, the creases/folds can get little wear holes in them where a mosquito could get you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,512 Times in 395 Posts

Nope, it's a solid plastic barrier, so they can't get through it as long as it's intact. Only the females bite, and they insert their proboscis into the skin, even in animals without pores. Before you swat (unless you're actively being bitten), look at the bugger if you can. Generally, if you see very long, feathery looking antennae, it's a male mosquito---their presence actually drives the females away. The ultrasonic repellers work on this principal, mimicking the high-pitched drone of male mosquitos.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Airth For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12