Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22lr

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 741 Posts

Default .22lr

Im new to the ammunition market and am painfully aware of the shortage on .22lr. I imagine there are many folks on this forum with a better idea of the dynamics of this situation. I'd like some opinions on when you think it will be available again and what the price difference is going to be if any. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 696 Posts

The Gander Mountain by me gets an ammo shipment every Thursday. It's gone by early Friday afternoon. Go to a local store and start asking questions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sides For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

Without inserting a political statement , a bill or bills appear near making it to the Senate floor. The push and pull is on big time and the end result is keeping bookies in clover. Hollywood celebrates are making videos. Wealthy politicians are buying air time. Drama is still very high. I suspect things might begin to retreat toward normalcy sometime this Summer, though it will probably be closer to a year before we get there. All of the above is unsubstantiated conjecture, of course.

I'm supposed to lead the pistol portion of a Christian men's retreat in June and I'm getting very, very anxious about having enough rounds to pull it off.

PC

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterCartwright For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Who really knows

The whole situation seems just plain strange to me. I have no idea what is really going on!

But today I scored a box of 40 .22lr rounds for $9.95 . . . and I was happy.

That's sad!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TripleF For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks

Part of the problem is 22 is relatively cheap so people can buy and hoard a LOT. So if the insanity ended tomorrow it would still take months for the supply to catch up.

As someone who grew up in the gun trade, here is my advice.

Don't buy much more than you are shooting now unless you find 500rnds at a bit below market. If you do, buy it and set it aside. When you see the prices later this year start to fall, start buying a little bit extra.

When prices normalize this year or next, put 5k to 10k aside once it is cheap.

Ammo is always nice to have, it sells easy, good trade, and easily keeps up with inflation.

If SHTF it becomes priceless...

So, like,a lot of guys do, spend $20 bucks a paycheck or whatever amount you wont miss and store it in ammo cans. No need to go crazy but a coyple of 50cal ammo cans of .22 takes up little space.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMichael For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

i remember the gas shortage of 1973/74. the previous gun ban, and a few more things that sparked panic buying. just ride it out and things will be back to norm, in a while. joe

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to central joe For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Default ammo

If there is no 22lr around than start building up an supply of 12 guage munitions. Buy birdshot, buckshot, trap loads, and slugs. 12 guage is still an good buy and good as gold because everyone has one, just like the 22lr, and it'll never be less in value than what you pay for it. It keeps up with inflation and more.

When 22lr becomes more available than stock up. Also you might be able to trade ammo for ammo if times gets hard.

IMO ammo is worth more than gold in some times in history and situations. It can keep you secure. It can feed you. It can be used as currency or an barter item. Also ammo is one of those things that you can use tomorrow at yesteryear's price if you stocked up.

Personally I have some 12 guage ammo, but in truth I don't feel I have nearly enough and intend on fixing that situation.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldpinecricker For This Useful Post:

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,707 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMichael View Post
    Part of the problem is 22 is relatively cheap so people can buy and hoard a LOT.
    I prefer to not consider it hoarding, I consider it thoughtful use of resourses. For every box you shoot buy two to replace it. I do this when ammo is plentiful or not. That way when crap like this happens you can still enjoy the use of your firearms. I did this in the good times and stick to it in the lean times. If I can't replace what I am shooting I think twice about going to the range.

Notice how the only people that consider that a person has a stockpile of food, ammo or whatever hoarding are people that didn't think to prepare until times were bad. To those folks I suggest you look at the old fable of the Ant and the Grasshopper. Thus endeth sermon.

Edit to add: SimplyMichael I am not sure if you intended your use of the word hoarding in this fashion or not but since you did invoke it I choose to comment on it. No offense intended toward you as I suspect you didn't intend it as such based on the rest of the commentary in your post. It was intended more as a comment on society and this BS concept of hoarding.
    Last edited by Lerch; 03-26-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    HardwoodsLeatherworks.com
    Hardwoods Leatherworks Vendor Forum

Turley Knife Club Member #143

"Some want to live within the sound of the church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell. " C.T. Studd

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lerch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,144 Times in 864 Posts

this panic has definatley made me realize how vulnerable .22lr is. Now a days i can reload for cheaper than .22 ammo, might just switch over all together to reloadable calibers and stock up on components. 45-70 and 357 shells last forever and lead is free for me, I can stock tons of powder and primers as well. I have seen the downside to .22 ammo

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slips73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by central joe View Post
    i remember the gas shortage of 1973/74. the previous gun ban, and a few more things that sparked panic buying. just ride it out and things will be back to norm, in a while. joe
    Smarter words were never spoken.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to medic68 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast