Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote footage , have you seen this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 274 Posts

I am inclined to agree that this was not a wild coyote... it was not acting afraid, and it looked far to healthy to have gotten to that "desperate enough to attack a human" stage... and a truly wild coyote probably wouldn't have screwed around for that long... the way that jerk was acting would have landed him a serious injury or two in that timeframe... that said, even if this was a human raised coyote, it is not a domesticated animal by any means... I know a couple people who have been attacked by coyotes they raised because they forgot they are not a dog...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaf and lightning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,307 Posts

Any time you see a pack animal roaming by itself it's either a juvenile trying to figure things out or it has been ostracized/kicked out of the pack. This one looks young and healthy enough to be a juvenile trying to figure things out but what amazes me the most is that this jagaloon sat down, on the snow, that close to a predator. I do believe that ranks near the top of the bad decision/darwin award list. Unless he has raised it and had it around for a while. Still stupid and idiotic but I could see how someone might be lulled into a false sense of security with such an animal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bharner For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I've seen polar bears and wolves in town up north (shot them, too), and they act like people are of no consequence. They usually end up dead because of it. Worlds a big place, but critters wander into town once in a while, especially if hungry. It isn't always because of humans leaving food out, garbage, etc., sometimes it's just because their natural food is in short supply. There have even been coyote attacks here in Nova Scotia recently. One family, this summer last, were in their tent & had to phone for help while they held them at bay until rangers and RCMP located them. The year before, a young woman was killed in Cape Breton while hiking alone, by a small pack. The coyotes here are quite big compared to Western North America. They're cross bred with wolves and get up to around 65-70 lbs, while out in the prairies, Alberta, NWT and BC, they are usually 30-40 lbs. Many police service dogs are 70-80 lbs, so a coyote that size can obviously do some damage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmythejet For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 409 Posts

If I wasn't armed I would have had my "walking stick" an ash rake handle. That yote would have a spitting headache the first time he got close

8. The Following User Says Thank You to plumberoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You really can see where dogs get it. He went right for the shoes. My buddy's pit does the same thing, has since he was a puppy and no amount of whacking him on the head will make him think shoes are any less enticing.

Bad dog.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JerseyJohn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leaf and lightning View Post
    I am inclined to agree that this was not a wild coyote... it was not acting afraid, and it looked far to healthy to have gotten to that "desperate enough to attack a human" stage... and a truly wild coyote probably wouldn't have screwed around for that long... the way that jerk was acting would have landed him a serious injury or two in that timeframe... that said, even if this was a human raised coyote, it is not a domesticated animal by any means... I know a couple people who have been attacked by coyotes they raised because they forgot they are not a dog...
    I agree, I may have misused the word "domesticated' when it comes to wild animals, but I personally feel the same about pit bulls and some other breeds as well. I dont believe they are ever really fully domesticated either. I formed that opinion right after my neighbors pit, that he raised from a pup, attacked his wife, another neighbor, then my wife. Some animals never get over there wild nature.
    TDP

Thanks

Have two living behind my house in a populated area. I was able to get pretty close before it took off. This one is definitely too comfortable with people.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,139 Posts

I know I wouldn't have stuck my foot out on front of him like some circus trainer...on the other hand I think he would have been introduced to my side arm! Won't take many chances with yotes...their just like hogs...over populated.

Tracker
    Thanks

I've had a few run ins with coyotes. Had them walk through my yard at night, and walk within 20 feet of me when at work. I've even had them come around camp in the middle of the night several times. I've never treated any wild animal like this though.

Of course the main reason I think that this guy has spent previous time with that one though is that it continued to follow him, despite the half hearted scare the guy gave. Most animals will run and not stop to look back if they think you are the bigger bad ass. Works for the supposedly domesticated ones just as much as the unquestionably wild ones in my experience.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Catavarie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Around here coyotes won't get anywhere near a human. I hear them yip all night and see tracks in my yard but hardly ever see one besides when I 'm driving down the road at night. When I was out west those bastards would come right into our camp and grab anything they could...I wouldnt' say they were fearless but they definitely had some testicular fortitude compared to the coyotes in n.e . Ohio.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast