Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Lightweight Wool cargo pants

  1. #1
    Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Hunt4lyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kolorado
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanks
    3,971
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 767 Posts

    Default Lightweight Wool cargo pants

    Does anyone out there have any ideas on lightweight wool cargo pants? I'm going crazy trying to find some for backpacking/hunting. They need to be solid color, I don't want camo since we knock on doors for access and I want to look as clean as possible. I was looking at the first lite kanab but talked with a guy who sells them and he said they're not very durable.

    I've been wearing wool slacks from goodwill but I really want cargos.

    I have a pair of Columbia wool pants but they are way to heavy, the Swedish are to heavy, even the lighter weight cabelas are to heavy. Lightweight is the keyword here. I get overheated to easy to wear heavy weight pants and I much rather have several thin layers than one heavy one.

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Scout Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    959
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 282 Times in 145 Posts

    Default

    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Light weight and quite a few to choose from

  3. #3
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SE, New Mexico
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 101 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    First Lite makes a lightweight merino cargo pant in a color they call dry earth; looks like carhartt brown.
    Day One Camouflage will also turn out a pair of their six-pocket cargo pants in charcoal grey. I don't have any of first lite's products, but I have been lusting after some of their stuff for quite some time.
    Day one makes good stuff. I have a few things from them, notably the parka, in cotton. It's well put together and made to order.

    Both places are pretty proud of the pants they make, especially in wool.

  4. #4
    of the Maki Clan Supporter clanmaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,220
    Thanks
    1,813
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 591 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4lyf View Post
    Does anyone out there have any ideas on lightweight wool cargo pants? I'm going crazy trying to find some for backpacking/hunting. They need to be solid color, I don't want camo since we knock on doors for access and I want to look as clean as possible. I was looking at the first lite kanab but talked with a guy who sells them and he said they're not very durable.

    I've been wearing wool slacks from goodwill but I really want cargos.

    I have a pair of Columbia wool pants but they are way to heavy, the Swedish are to heavy, even the lighter weight cabelas are to heavy. Lightweight is the keyword here. I get overheated to easy to wear heavy weight pants and I much rather have several thin layers than one heavy one.

    Thanks for any help
    What size do you wear? I might have an od green 100% Australian cargo pants.
    There are no "failures", Just learning experiences.

    PSALMS 83:18; ISAIAH 43:10-12

  5. #5
    Scout Vendor Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    680
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 249 Posts

    Default

    Keep your eye out for the U.S. surplus wool pants made from a light "whipcord" wool fabric. The threads are twisted before weaving to yield a tighter weave. They're not cargo pants, but you might like them enough to overlook that deficiency. I've found them to be excellent for cool weather wear.

  6. #6
    Guide Moondog55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Geelong Victoria Australia
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 603 Times in 342 Posts

    Default

    Why not just sew cargo pockets to your best pair of dress pants?
    Easy job with a decent sewing machine, and this is why so many old wool pants from WW2 have different coloured cargo pockets, they were added by regimental tailors after manufacture.
    Unless you are trying to be a fashion clothes-horse in the woods having pockets of a different colour shouldn't be an issue and the pockets do not have to be woollen.
    You could rip the side seams and make the knees bellowsed at the same time, I have done this with my old battledress while adding knee patches for wear and extra warmth.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moondog55 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Hunt4lyf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kolorado
    Posts
    1,283
    Thanks
    3,971
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 767 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'd almost forgotten about this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by IDSS View Post
    First Lite makes a lightweight merino cargo pant in a color they call dry earth; looks like carhartt brown.
    Day One Camouflage will also turn out a pair of their six-pocket cargo pants in charcoal grey. I don't have any of first lite's products, but I have been lusting after some of their stuff for quite some time.
    Day one makes good stuff. I have a few things from them, notably the parka, in cotton. It's well put together and made to order.


    Both places are pretty proud of the pants they make, especially in wool.
    I looked at these but I as told by someone who uses them and also sells them them they just aren't very durable. He tore the crotch out of 2 pairs during 1 elk season. These are the type I am looking for though.

    Quote Originally Posted by clanmaki View Post
    What size do you wear? I might have an od green 100% Australian cargo pants.
    36x34 Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Keep your eye out for the U.S. surplus wool pants made from a light "whipcord" wool fabric. The threads are twisted before weaving to yield a tighter weave. They're not cargo pants, but you might like them enough to overlook that deficiency. I've found them to be excellent for cool weather wear.
    Thanks ill keep my eye open for these.


    Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Why not just sew cargo pockets to your best pair of dress pants?
    Easy job with a decent sewing machine, and this is why so many old wool pants from WW2 have different coloured cargo pockets, they were added by regimental tailors after manufacture.
    Unless you are trying to be a fashion clothes-horse in the woods having pockets of a different colour shouldn't be an issue and the pockets do not have to be woollen.
    You could rip the side seams and make the knees bellowsed at the same time, I have done this with my old battledress while adding knee patches for wear and extra warmth.


    Ive thought about this, I even have an old pair of wool cargo pants that I bought just for the pockets. I know nothing about sewing and don't own a sewing machine but it is something I plan on doing. Nope, not really concerned about looks. Thanks.

  9. #8
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    How durable are the First Lite pants?

  10. #9
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Check out LL Bean. They have different wool outdoors pants.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildewinds For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Scout Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked 640 Times in 372 Posts
    Items for Sale

    Default

    The whipcord wool pants from Filson are terrific and should last forever. Look in ebay. I added 2 way side zips to mine for easy on/off and for added ventilation. Also if you can find them the old postal service whipcords were great, and lighter than the Filson. Cabelas has whipcord as well I think. If these are too heavy go with surplus store dress pants. Or, consider just wearing shell wind pants (synthetic or light canvas) over long underwear, very versatile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •