Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a canvas pack recommendation please

Thanks

If you don't mind spend a bit of money (though it is worth it IMO) look at Frost River (esp. isle royal or isle royal jr.)

If want a bit more DIY and modding then surplus is the way to go. Depending on your skill with needle and thread, waxing a pack (should be pretty easy, though I have never done it), and just your general know how on canvas packs I am sure you could make one out of surplus.

Of course if your really skilled you can make your own pack from scratch, just buy some canvas and go to work.

Best of luck.

Thanks

Depends on what size you want.

You pretty much described the Frost River Isle Royale pack. Just a word of warning: the pocket in the top flap is just an open pocket, and if you aren't careful when you open it, stuff falls out. But it's a big pack.

The Isle Royale Jr. is also great, it just lacks the waist belt, and is shorter, I don't know if one could be added that wouldn't ride too high.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 920 Posts
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 3,780 Posts

Not trying to "push" the German/NATO pack,but as i have one, i'll describe it a bit more... Its top flap pocket takes up the whole flap. There are three aluminum buttons down the middle (side to side, not front to back), with three other buttons next to them to allow a bit more to be stuff in. I always got the impression it was for holding one's raingear or maps. Stuff doesn't fall out of it too easily. The three side pockets have aluminum roller buckles. There is also an inside pocket, up against your back. It has two of the aluminum buttons, with a second set a bit higher, again enabling you to stuff more inside. I think that pocket is specifically made to hold a sit-pad or cushion. I cut a piece of blue foam sleeping mat, about 12x16 iirc, to fit. I also fold up my casualty blanket and tuck it inside too. Fits fine. There are no straps underneath to sling anything, but you could add some. the top flap is also long enough that you could fit something under it, like a rolled up jacket or thin blanket (5"-6"). Finally, you can always add your own axe loop. Inside the top flap, near the lower edge, would probably work pretty well.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

also Duluth Pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12