Thread: headlamp and questions

Thanks

Default headlamp and questions

First time posting in the electronics area. I made this headlamp module out of a computer heatsink and some other odd hardware parts hanging around.

IMG_20121221_083747.jpg

IMG_20121221_083839.jpg

It will take any standard p60 dropin, has 46 sq. In. Of surface cooling, is water resistant to a couple of feet underwater, weighs 3.27 oz. , and is 6061 series AL. Anti-reflective glass lens and cree mc-e dropin at present. Should be able to handle xml dropins up to 3a without breaking a sweat. It has a capacitive switch built into the backside... but it's a downer because i use this primarily during the winter, and mittens/gloves are dampening the style

My questions and problems are these...
    - i want to make a battery box for 18650 size batts. I tried to bend some AL to accomodate, but the problem is making it to where the batteries are sealed enough to keep'out rain etc. Also, getting the batteries in and out are a major pain.
    - dont want to make battery packs, as i'd like to make it where 1,2,3,4 battery combos can be used. 1/2 batteries when attached to back of headstrap, 3/4 for waist carry.
    - batteries have to be kept separate so they can be used in other devices and charged separately by solar.
    - be able to mount an inline switch or a switch directly on the box to override the touch switch ( or disable the cp switch completely?). I know mushers put a push switch directly on the putside that can be operated through clothing by slapping the battery box. Seems like a good idea.

I,ve got most of the components to do this, but this biggest hinderance is choosing which material to create the batt box out of. Kydex seems like a good alternative, but how to make it where the batts can go in and out easily? There's also this fancy plastic thats boiled and then molded into shape, forget the name of it.
    Thought about milling out a batt box from AL but its weight and bulk aren't working when it comes to strap mounting.
    Another option might be to by a couple of 18650 holders and sewing up some velcro laden cases to hold them. Similar to the cordura bags for bike lights.... just smaller.
    That looks cheesy though.

Please, i know there are some cpf'ers on here. What do ya'll think?

Thanks evry1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edispilf27 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Im gonna go out on a limb and say: you are way more advanced than most of us here.

I thought I was into headlights, but you take it to a whole other level. I'm into ZL's and Sparks

Good for you for make a p60 headlamp, looks beefy.

Regards

Jin

Thanks

nice is all I can say.