Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice for home defense

Scout
    Thanks

Default 45

I had a few locked up in the house, and I've taken the time to take some pic for you.

1911 pattern

Sig P220

HK USP compact and fullsize

XD-45 compact and two fullsize XDm 45s

I would include an Glock 21 and 30 but my Glocks currently on hand are only in 9mm and 40S&W.

The only other worthy 45s I can think of happen to be the Beretta Storm, FN 45, and the M&P45. There is an Ruger 345 but I find the P-series to be less than desireable from my experinace. Basically you get what you pay for.

If I were on an budget and wanted an 45 for carry and home defense I would be happy with an Glock 30, M&P45, or XD-45compact. Any of these will work. I think the sigs and HK's are a bit lofty in price for someone looking for an budget firearm.

Oh yea. The 1911's, if that's your thing go for it. Im just not all that into them anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 856 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    The only 38 caliber that ever "failed' the US military was the older 38s. The times they used the modern 38 Special they performed just fine.
    I was referring to power overall in most cartridges chambered for the 38 caliber.

38 failed in 1900 and we brought the 45 LC from retirement. LEO now uses 40 Smith versus the older 9s and 38s...if I'm correct.
    Not to mention we're bringing the 45acp back because the 9 often lacks needed guts.
    FBI had the 10mm/40 Smith made specifically because they wanted more stopping power than the high cap 9 offered but they still wanted high capacity.

sent from my dumb phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodsghost View Post
    A revolver you can leave loaded for 20 years and never have a problem. Autos need to have the mags switched from time to time to keep the springs from going bad. My fist choice is a revolver, double action only. Fewer odds and ends to mess with, and you should train to shoot well in double action, as this will be your default in a bad situation. I used to say "revolver for reliability" but this is less true nowadays with modern handguns. However, if semi-autos get banned, revolvers will still be ok (I hope).

My suggestion is a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. Cheap, they have a model in double action only, and the .44 basically has the ballistics of the .45 ACP. For ammo, I would go with Buffalo Bore low flash ammo. .44 Special will be relatively cheap and available for the next few years because it is not a common caliber, and it is run in revolvers which are less likely to get banned. I would stay away from the .44 Magnum.

A flashlight is a must for target identification.

Learn to shoot one handed. I know most people recommend special stances and two handed grips. They are more accurate. But the stuff I have read says you will often need the other hand for other tasks, like the flashlight, light switches, the phone, maneuvering children or the spouse, handling a door, etc.

I think a shotgun is a great idea, but I worry that leaving them loaded for extended periods will harm the magazine spring. 20 ga is not a bad idea, though defensive ammo choices are limited. Shotguns are also very "ban" resistant, pump-actions more so than semis. Please realize you DO need to aim with a shotgun. It would be nice not to hit family members who might not be behind you, and at home defense ranges (5-25 ft), shot does not spread out much. Make sure you are not just pointing in the general direction, make sure you are going to hit the bad guy(s)!

Here are some links to the Buffalo Bore .44 Specials: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=17
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=282

And Charter Arms Website: http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...s_products.asp

And a pic of the Bulldog I was talking about earlier.

For the record, I think you should go with Charter Arms because I have not seen anything bad about them, and I feel they have some of the best prices around and offer a model which I think fits your needs.

Good luck!

Hey just a clarification on the spring issue - they actually will do fine for several years. the thing that wears them out is.... USE!!! I wish my springs were worn

If you only worked the springs in the mags once a year, they would last indefinitely. I have two .45's. My first is a Sig P220 and its two mags are always loaded, and only 'unloaded' a few times a year. mostly sit in the safe. they always run fine fine fine!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterman308 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 370 Posts

I would suggest a good .38 /.357 revolver.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/...eets/1705.html
    Easy to learn ,safe. Start with mild .38 SPL and work up to .357 Mag.

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,312 Posts

Here's a 25 year old article you may want to consider.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xil48sh7vux4on3/FBI-10mm.pdf
    ~ Jack
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    John Adams
    Honor: If you need it defined, you don't have it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 45jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 856 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 45jack View Post
    Here's a 25 year old article you may want to consider.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xil48sh7vux4on3/FBI-10mm.pdf
    10MM is my favorite round for a pistol. Have it in a Colt Delta Elite.

sent from my dumb phone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2stoves View Post
    But, when it comes down to it, their purpose and hope is that the intruder will be scared off by the sight of a gun.
    Very important to remember. If you are going to rely on a firearm for defensive purposes you better have the resolve to use it if you have to. This is one reason why I really dislike it when people mention using the sound of a pump shotgun to scare off intruders. If you have already grabbed your firearm, you have deemed who ever broke into your house a threat. racking your shotgun may scare off an unmotivated attacker, but all it does to a motivated attacker is tells him where you probably are and that you are armed and he better act fast on you. same thing goes for flashlights, they should be off until you need to look at something and if there is nothing where you just flashed turn it off and move.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsghost View Post
    Please realize you DO need to aim with a shotgun. It would be nice not to hit family members who might not be behind you, and at home defense ranges (5-25 ft), shot does not spread out much. Make sure you are not just pointing in the general direction, make sure you are going to hit the bad guy(s)!
    Another very good thing to remember. at the ranges within a home even 18" home defense shotguns have a spread of maybe 4-6"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yetee For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

A pump shot gun can be effective with out ever needing to confront anyone. Most people will not stay around to see if the gun is loaded or if you can use it if they hear that pump worked.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by waterman308 View Post
    Hey just a clarification on the spring issue - they actually will do fine for several years. the thing that wears them out is.... USE!!! I wish my springs were worn

If you only worked the springs in the mags once a year, they would last indefinitely. I have two .45's. My first is a Sig P220 and its two mags are always loaded, and only 'unloaded' a few times a year. mostly sit in the safe. they always run fine fine fine!
    Thanks. I am still cautious because I have seen, over and over, the warning on mag spring damage. However, I will keep what you said in mind, and not worry as much.

Since I run with a revolver at home, mag springs are not an issue for my HD weapon. I have at times forgotten and left rifle mags loaded. Maybe it is not as bad a thing as I thought! I will still pay attention to them, but I will not be quite so worried.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 588 Posts

I jus read a story of a ww2 era 1911 that was discovered with a fully loaded mag. That's 50+years with the mag spring compressed, and it worked fine. Forgot where I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonySmithXR For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast