Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice for home defense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 585 Posts

If you've got kids (I think you said you did) you may like the ruger sr9/40 full size or compact. Forgive the blasphemy but its a better looking glock with a manual thumb safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,338 Posts

Pretty much anything by one of the major manufacturers in 9, 40, or 45 will be fine. Note, hi-point, raven, jiminez et al do not count as major manufacturers for a good, reliable gun.
    357 will over penetrate and if your wife is using it mat be hard for her to get a follow up shot off.
    The ideal would be a 16.5" barreled AR in 300 AAC or 5.56 with good defensive ammo, a red dot sight and a light. 5.56 with good ammo won't over penetrate but 300 is a bigger hole in a bad person. An AK with those same accessories would be good as well but the adjustable stock and low recoil of the AR combined with the simplicity of a red dot means it's easy for either one of you to pick up and use.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yetee View Post
    +1 on the shotgun, the advantage to a pistol is that it is usually closer/easier to access than a shotgun. In a home defense pistol i would go a full size in any major caliber. Be sure you have a decent small flashlight as well and train with it. You only need it for identifying dont wander around the house searching with it on the whole time, all that does is makes a giant beacon saying "HERE I AM".
    Not if you keep it next to your bed.

0124131942.jpg
    "..honest to the point of recklessness,
    self centered to the extreme.."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinoNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A Glock 9mm or something similar.

Also you can often find Smith and Wesson .38 special full size police trade in's.

Scout
    Thanks

Training will make more of a difference than the type of weapon you have available.
    There is something unmistakable about the sound of a shotgun or pistol racking is a good warning to anyone who might be in the house.
    Get her shooting each one and do it under various conditions.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roweman07 View Post
    I think we are going back and forth between a .357 revolver and a Glock.
    I have carried a Glock for many years and think it is probably the best semi-auto out there. That said, they are not the best for every person.

My wife lacks the wrist strength to shoot a Glock and can't go more than a couple of rounds without a failure to extract. I have fired the same guns many times without a single failure of any kind. She carries a Ruger LCR in 38+P and likes it so much that she's about to convert me.

My suggestion is to try out a few guns and see what works for both of you. If it were me and we were looking for a home defense handgun, it would be a full size 4" Ruger or S&W in .357.

Thanks

Once again thank you all for all the advice and opinions! We really appreciate it! We have a lot to think about and discuss.

Scout
    Thanks

I carry a Glock 30SF and my car gun is a G17. Never had 1 failure. Just bought my wife a LCR 38 and I really like it. Be careful with children though, the Glocks only have trigger safeties and the LCR has none. (well an internal lock) I would have to second the shotgun. I keep a Mossberg 20ga in the closet. Its unloaded because we have kids but I've had my wife practice loading it and she's pretty good. They're nice if just for the intimidation factor alone. Have you ever heard a shotgun rack in the dark? It'll send chills up your spine.

Thanks

I would highly recommend a 12 or 20 ga shotgun. I would get a short barrel if it's only used for home defense (check local laws on length). Even high brass would have a hard time going through your walls completely. I would get larger shot but probably not 00 buckshot. Something like BBB. Make sure it's a pump too. It has a distinct sound. Technically you don't have to aim a shotgun as much as a pistol in close quarters meaning you can poke the barrel out from around a corner but keep your body/head protected.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roweman07 View Post
    Thank you all for the answers! I'm going to discuss some of the things mentioned here with her. I have a browning semi-auto 20 gauge but man that barrel is long. I just inherited a 12 gauge pump from my grandpa. It's a Mossberg 500 A. Haven't had much of a chance to look it over and see how it compares. But for what I found out that night, in the house my Browning was just way to long.

Also, to clarify, I wasn't standing right at the door, literally, I meant that I was still up and was right there to witness it.

We are leaning towards the handgun more for a couple reasons. There are a lot of kids in the house so I keep all of my guns locked up. With my upgrades it would take a minute to get in the house if they really wanted too and it would be extremely difficult to do so without setting off alarms. But it could be done. I can keep a handgun locked up on the headboard of our bed. I think we are going back and forth between a .357 revolver and a Glock.
    I'll step out and let this take its course, but it's not at all a wise choice to use a handgun for home defense-period. Particularly when you state your house has lots of kids. Proximity to your neighbors is another potential liability.

I'm sure you've done so already and will continue to do so, but please examine carefully the risks inherent with handguns, carbines and rifles for home defense. With other occupants in your home other than those located in your own bedroom (your wife) they are not the right tool for the job. Even if your nearest neighbor is 10 miles away, there are far too many accidental deaths as a result of over penetration. Personally I couldn't live with that regret, and am not comfortable with the possibility of someone else having to either. I don't intend to come off as self righteous so I apologize if that's how it comes across to anybody.

God bless.
    Last edited by Scroggins; 01-24-2013 at 09:52 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroggins For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast