Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need handgun advice for home defense

Thanks

Default Need handgun advice for home defense

The wife and myself were up late watching a movie and had most of the lights in the house on. When we went to bed I had to go get my son a bottle. Less than two minutes time passed between turning off the lights and when someone violently shook our storm door on the front porch. I went over to see the door better and they did it again. I was standing right there! They had to know we were home. Called the police and checked everything out myself. While the police were searching the area someone pounded on our back door. They never were found. We don't have any problems with neighbors and no bad kids live in the area. there have been quite a few reported home invasions here in the last 3 weeks.
    I love guns, have plenty of shotguns and rifles, but never felt a need or want for hand guns. This experience has pushed us over the edge though. So I pose a question to you all; What would be a decent, low priced gun for home defense? I was thinking something in the .45 caliber. The wife is still leary of pistols and I want her to be able to handle it. Also having little to do with hand guns I don't know which ones the ammo tends to be more available for.
    We've installed a lot of newer security measures but we feel it is time to increase our security. We also plan to get our concealed carry permits now as well. We really appreciate any help that anyone has to offer!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to roweman07 For This Useful Post:

Jackpine Savage Supporter JOttum's Avatar
    Thanks

.45 is a pretty common round. If you are looking for one to use as a carry weapon, Glock has a lot of compact models that might fit the bill. Also lots of accessories for them and lots of gunsmiths around that can work on them.
    Old School 11B3P

AXE MOB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JOttum For This Useful Post:

Thanks

All handgun major (9mm and larger) caliber differences are minimal in stopping a man when using quality expanding bullets.

A 9mm is the cheapest to train with, has the most capacity, and allows for faster follow up shots.

A glock 19/17 is always my recommendation but only if you are willing to get training or learn weapons manipulations in competition. Otherwise any talisman will work and .45ACP is the talisman of choice.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oregon Jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 531 Posts

for just home defense id say a nice 357 revolver with a 4in barrel

you can load it up with 38s to teach the wife on how to shoot it, and 357 is plenty to deter anyone. another added benefit is that it has alot less moving parts and if the ammo doesnt fire just pull the trigger again no tap rack to have to teach the wife

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demonfurbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If your not going to carry it get the biggest gun and largest caliber, highest capacity your wife is comfortable with shooting.

That being said, glock has pretty much the best reliability track record out there for a semi auto. Its probably the cheapest gun without sacrificing quality out there.

I also suggest a glock 17 as said earlier. Easy recoil, No safeties to fool with, just pull the trigger. holds 17+1 or 19 with an extension or 33 rounds with the glock 18 mag.

you should probably call this your homedefense/bushcraft security gun since this is bushcraft. lol.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified

Thanks
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 747 Posts

For the two instances you mentioned, if it were me, I would get a 20ga Rem express with an 18 1/2" barrel, with a magazine full of #4 buckshot and a good ,small flashlight . I would not get close to the door but wait in the hall or far end of the room facing the door. After a 911 call and the bad guy(s) came in either door, I would give them the good news (after identifying that they were not a family member, neighbor, or cop). Handguns are fine but a shotgun is better for a home invasion, IMHO.
    I mentioned a 20ga as it would be a better gun for a woman, usually , and at inside home range, will be just as effective as a 12ga with proper ammunition.

Train a bit with a shotgun at close range and you will be amazed.

Regards,

ezra

Thanks

How about a 12 ga for home defense and a short barrel .44 mag for the woods. I think a 12 ga is the best home defense gun you can have. Lots of choices for barrel lengths, folding stocks, ammo, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiddlehead For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 521 Posts

I have a handgun, a rifle, and a 20g shotgun. For home defense I always reach for the shotgun. Why? I don't need to aim, it is a pump so I have multi shot, it is large enough to be seen so the intruder has no doubt I am going to shoot them, and I can shoot from the hip if needed.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2stoves For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezra45 View Post
    For the two instances you mentioned, if it were me, I would get a 20ga Rem express with an 18 1/2" barrel, with a magazine full of #4 buckshot and a good ,small flashlight . I would not get close to the door but wait in the hall or far end of the room facing the door. After a 911 call and the bad guy(s) came in either door, I would give them the good news (after identifying that they were not a family member, neighbor, or cop). Handguns are fine but a shotgun is better for a home invasion, IMHO.
    I mentioned a 20ga as it would be a better gun for a woman, usually , and at inside home range, will be just as effective as a 12ga with proper ammunition.

Train a bit with a shotgun at close range and you will be amazed.

Regards,

ezra
    +1 on the shotgun, the advantage to a pistol is that it is usually closer/easier to access than a shotgun. In a home defense pistol i would go a full size in any major caliber. Be sure you have a decent small flashlight as well and train with it. You only need it for identifying dont wander around the house searching with it on the whole time, all that does is makes a giant beacon saying "HERE I AM".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Yetee For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,254 Posts

I would recommend a shotgun for defense in a home. Handguns have much higher risk of over penetration through both interior and exterior walls.

A drawn shotgun is a big intimidator and might prevent a defensive shooting in itself. If not, and the trigger needs to be pulled it will do the job, and not mind if the attacker is hopped up on whatever superhuman drug, unlike handgun calibers.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroggins For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast