Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Going to SMKW with $100....

Tracker
    Thanks

Well I can tell you I wouldn't trade my BK16's for the world. Next pick after that would definitely be an EESE, Crazy solid knives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kubota tim View Post
    My opinion, which isnt worth a flip, would be try everything even remotely interesting on for size and handling. Then after making all the pertinent observations order a fine knife from one of our fellow, or lady, forum members. You know, buy locally so to speak. I'm sure you would get a fine knife and I know they would appreciate the sales.

Bro Tim
    Im sorry, but I do have to disagree. If you want to purchase a knife from one of our members, and I do recomend that, do your research on line. ask other members opinions, then order what you want from who you want. I just dont think its right or fair to go into a store, ask to look at and handle everything they have when you have no intention of buying from them. Thats taking unfair advantage of a sales person that makes his living by selling and wasting his valuable time when he could be helping a genuine customer and making a living.
    I do however agree if you want to purchase from SMKW and are not certain what you want, then take your time, ask questions, make your choice, then buy. THAT is an adventure in that store.
    TDP

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,290 Posts

A Boker Plus Voxknives Rold but you might have to add another 20 bucks plus tax or a Condor Warlock....or 9 Moras.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 1,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
    We already have plans for dinner while we are there, but this my be my only chance to get a $100 dollar knife. Plus I already have a parang that I hardly ever use. It is not a condor, but I most only use it in the garden cutting corn stalks anyway.
    Hmm, okay not a parang fan eh? How about an American classic a Bowie. I own a couple knives made by Bear & Son and found them to be very high quality US made knives. My favorite game knife is my Bear & Son guthook skinner with stag handle. I own several Bowies but my favorites is my Bear & Son Bowie with cocobolo handle. I highly recommend Bear & Son knives.
    The bone handle Bowie runs a couple bucks above budget at $102.99 but worth every penny. Many knives on the SMKW webpage show out of stock but should be available by June.

Bear & Son Bowie
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...e/BRWSB02.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnkochee For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 2,953 Posts

Take a look at the Ontario's Rat or Ranger line.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aven For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought both my ESEE 4 & 6, my Mora Classic #2, & my 20in. Wetterlings Hunters Axe there. I visit my aunt & uncle in Knoxville every year, so a trip to SMKW is near mandatory. If you somehow manage to get out of there without spending more than a $100 then you truly have iron willpower! A second option is to take that $100 walk out to the Kelgin Knife-makers Co-op located in the parking lot & make your own, they're a fun bunch.

Overkill is underrated Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    If I were in this situation, I would get one of these,
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...r/BKBO296.html

Plus one of these,
    http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...TC175HB28.html

You may have change left over if the taxman is good to you.

Happy Anniverary too!
    I think Wizard hit it...HARD!

Tracker
    Thanks

I had a BK-11 sold it and bought an Ontario Rat 3 (when they had the agreement with Esee). Sold the Rat like a fool. A great all-around knife. I bought a Bob Lum Encounter fixed blade - great knife but I miss the Rat 3. I bought a San Mai BK11. Added the Kabar TDI clip to the sheath and Micarta scales and use it as general carry knife in the woods. I still wish I had the Rat 3...

I would wait until you see what they have. I would look at the Beckers and Ontarios (including RAT). I'm sure Esee knives are great, they just seem pricey to me. Becker is rolling out some new knives! While I have four fixed blades over $80, at camp and home I carry my Mora's.

Thanks

I just got home on saturday from Piegon Forge. I spent about 1 1/2 hours at SMKW, and walked away with an Esee Izula II AND a Condor Bushlore! I ended up holding about 50 or so knives, and I couldn't decide between the 2. Then my wife said Father's day is comming up so get them both. I think I was in the check out line before she could blink.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvey_birdman For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234