Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Puukkos and Leukus

Thanks

Default Regarding Puukkos and Leukus

I've heard people complaining about the wimpy leather strap on the sheaths of these knives.

I guess people are (rightly) assuming that they're supposed to be the suspension system for the sheaths.

A friend of mine, who is familiar with Norse and Saami reenactors, notes that the sheaths are intended to be stuck under the belt, and that the little straps on the sheaths are there only for security.

Does anyone else have similar info?

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kortoso For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 422 Posts

Most definitely not under the belt or it is some sort of local tradition. As far as I know puukkos and leukus have been carried from that loop or similar system for ages, not under the belt. Norses can have sum sort of different thing going on tho, but they don't use puukkos per se.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,681 Times in 751 Posts

My heritage is Finish, and my great Aunt was a Saami, My uncle lives in Canada now, but is from Finland. They all have experience with Leukus and Puukkos, and so do I. I can say with complete confidence that the Leuku and/or Puukko was never carried under the belt with the loop as a safety measure. They were always dangling from the loop off the belt.

However, a lot of frontiersman in North America carried their larger knives in the manner described above, tucked in the belt. Some of them also used a lace as a security measure.
    Last edited by Wood Splitter; 09-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wood Splitter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,681 Times in 751 Posts

And by the way, none of the real Leuku/Puukko sheaths have "wimpy" leather straps. There very robust and I trust them just as much, if not more, then the d-ring dangler method used on many bushcraft knife sheaths today.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wood Splitter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 728 Posts

I've seen the traditonal style steath danglers at the local SCA a few times and I've got to say they're far from wimpy. 200+ pound guys running and falling with them, twisting them and catching them on other people's gear and I've never heard of one failing. The complaints may be coming based on some larger scale production sheath where the quality is passed over for sheer numbers or the quality of leather wasn't up to par.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulfgrim For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

The leather hangers are also twisted, giving it some shock absorption. I would think that something that was free to move around could "un-hook" itself easily, as opposed to something that is tight to the belt. It is the way to go when in a canoe.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,266 Times in 797 Posts

Regardless of what is traditional, I detest gear that doesn't stay in place when I move, which is why I don't care for dangler sheaths. I don't like cargo pockets on my trousers for the same reason.
    Do something! You're dead a long time, and it's later than you think.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x39 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the info, guys. I guess if the sheaths were meant to be hidden away, they wouldn't be decorated.

I'm with you, x39, if I am stalking a critter, I don't want any loose gear swinging around unpredicably.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortoso For This Useful Post:

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,611 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kortoso View Post
    Thank you for the info, guys. I guess if the sheaths were meant to be hidden away, they wouldn't be decorated.

I'm with you, x39, if I am stalking a critter, I don't want any loose gear swinging around unpredicably.
    Personal preference, the Nordic peoples have been stalking critters for hundreds of years...
    ~ Jack

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    John Adams

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 45jack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,905 Times in 450 Posts

Keep in mind lots of times these were carried over the jacket or heavy pullover on a different outside belt. The bigger leather fills the loop hole, or in some cases, it dangles off of a metal fastener on the rim of the belt.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joezilla For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast