Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious sharps envy... HELP

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Blackhawk45hunter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 787 Posts

Default Serious sharps envy... HELP

So I've been wanting a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet for a long time now and I don't think ill ever be able to afford one, but I recently saw Condor's Scout Hatchet and instantly fell in love.

I read about the flaws in the early model but supposedly the newer ones are a lot better. Does anyone here have one? How do you like it?

If feedback is good, I may order one before the week is out...

So help me out guys, I'm seriously envying this thing and I need to know if its worth the time and money or if I should just forget about it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackhawk45hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,863 Times in 671 Posts

hmmm good price ... at that low price point I would be curious to know how good of an edge can be achieved and how well it stays.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to copenhagen69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 828 Posts

I really want a Condor Scout hatchet too, if you do get one let me know how it works out for you.

Baryonyx offers a special grade option on it too, which would be well worth the $6 IMHO.

If you PM FortyTwoBlades, he should be able to help you out with any qusetions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bushwolf For This Useful Post:

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,933 Times in 6,399 Posts

Personally, I wouldnt spend a dollar on Condor stuff. Ive seen far to many QC problems and other gripes people have had with their stuff. Id look for a nice old hatchet head and put a new handle on it. Be a fun project for ya, and you will have a great hatchet.

I know Condor has alot of fanboys, just like ESEE and Bark River, and thats cool, just not for me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 386 Posts

I think you'd be happy with the Scout Hatchet, especially if you go through FortyTwo. Buying from him allows you to side-step any QC issues that you might encounter when buying from another vendor. Personally, I won't buy anything Condor unless it's through him for that very reason.

Another option might be the Husqvarna hatchet. Just a few dollars more.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kontraktniki For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 1,332 Posts

I had one, the blade was nice-but, I didnt like the ergonomics of the handle. It felt too small, and light, for me. I got it razor sharp though, no problem. Just didnt fit me, size wise. I am not a big person either (I am only 5'6"). But, it could be my lack of experience, but this is a pocket hatchet-and, I really have never handled something that small & light before. I ended up selling mine, and got a plumb boy scout hatchet, which feels like its about a 1lb head-and the handle fits my hand better. Thats my limited experience though.
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldier For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,830 Times in 1,048 Posts

Mine took and holds an edge just fine. Use it on pretty much every camping trip. It is small but that's why I bought it.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking."
    Finis Mitchell,

Bushclass Intermediate...Lessons 2/11...Electives 1/7...Outings 0/10

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thorbyfour For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,510 Times in 929 Posts

I don't own one, big I had a chance to play with one for a couple weeks and was impressed. as soon as Baryonyx gets them back in stock, I'm ordering one. So far I've been satisfied with my Condor purchases and believe they are a great value.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Woods Bexar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,393 Posts

I've been oggling those but recently purchased the woodworkers axe from Baryonix as I already have a Plumb scout hatchet and a Fiskars X7. I wanted something between those sizes and the boys axe. I spent the extra couple dollars for the special service from FortyTwoBlades and it was well worth it. I haven't had a chance to use it yet as I had it shipped to work... But provided it's not pouring down rain tonight I have a couple chunks of maple I plan to rough out and get ready to turn into spoons tonight. The axe is sharp enough to easily shave arm hair and if it holds an edge I don't think I'll have any complaints about it. I think the scout hatchet will get purchased later this year as the dinky size looks fun to play with.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bharner For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Blackhawk45hunter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 787 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I think I'm going to buy it. I plan on using it at work for killing Tree-of-Heaven and autumn olive. I already have a boys axe and an 18" axe but I think this little guy will be perfect for slashing tree trunks for herbicide application.

That, and it would make a SWEET addition to my 10x4 hiking kit. Haha

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blackhawk45hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast