Thread: Here a Buck, There A Buck Everywhere a Buck Buck

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 333 Posts

Default Here a Buck, There A Buck Everywhere a Buck Buck

As I've shared with you all in the past, I have a high tech sales job and getting outside really helps me clear my head and focus on various things I have. I also love wood processing. Harvesting my firewood with vintage tools. I recently saw a video where the guy was felling a tree with a cross cut saw. In order to make it easier for him, he used a branch in the ground, tied with paracord to his saw to create tension and create the reverse pull action. I thought I would try that out this past weekend.

Armed with my trusty axe (WardsMaster Doublebit), my Woodchuck timberjack, (this thing proves itself everytime I take it out for bind free bucking), and my 1 Man Crosscut saw from Traditional Woodworker that Treeline tuned and sharpened for me, I set out to a nearby wildlife area about 15 minutes from my house. Pretty lucky to have this so close.

photo1.jpg

The shot above shows my Woodchuck Timberjack easily holding this 15" or so log up in the air ready for bind free bucking. I have started the cut with my saw and as it was resting in the kerf, I attached red 550 cord to it, found a nearby oak branch, used my axe to sharpen one end and pounded it into the ground and attached the 550 to each end.

photo2.jpg

He is another shot from behind the saw with the paracord attached to it. Treeline has taught me to remove all bark before sawing to keep my teeth sharp on my saw longer. Thanks, Treeline!!

It worked "okay" as it had warmed up a bit and the branch I had pounded about a foot or so down was moving toward me through the mud. So after about halfway through the log, it was just helping to start the reverse pull of the saw away from me. After a few minutes we had success.

photo4.jpg

You guys know that I'm also Italian and us Italians love to see our pasta our "noodles" in this case. So here are the noodles from this evolution. You can see some rather long ones. Sorry, not the best picture.

photo5.jpg

Thanks for looking..

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dragon63005 For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Default Continued....

Here is a short that shows more of another view from behind the saw at how I rigged the branch in the ground and tied the 550 cord between the branch and my saw.

photo3.jpg

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dragon63005 For This Useful Post:

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,366 Times in 4,207 Posts

Thumbs up

You are Italian?? and love noodles? well ... Good sawing,, cut some 3" thick slabs and make some stools...im makin one soon
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal
    . Forum Rule nr 7

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Keyser Söze For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,952 Times in 542 Posts

Default That timberjack saves you about a full

weeks worth of back pain and then some. If only they'd make a telescoping version to be able to pack out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pilsburythrowboy12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love that stuff, just aint able to do it anymore. I am by no means an expert but when I was a kid in FFA we would have Forest Field Day competitions and I did one and two man crosscut sawing. My instructer always would take a coke bottle full of kerosene, stick a bunch of green pine needles in the top for a brush, and we would "oil" the saw blade to cut friction and reduce drag. Worked really well especially when cutting green pine.
    Just sayin
    TDP

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twodollarpistol For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's an interesting technique. Seems like it would be more work though? Isn't it creating resistance when you pull as well?

I noticed you added a hole for your helper handle. You might want to move it back closer to the D handle so that you can get more of the blade into the kerf on bigger logs like that.

Looks like fun! You'll be building a log cabin out there before you know it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Treeline For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 530 Posts

Looks like the sharpening & tune up job that Treeline did on your saw made her sing. SWEEEET!!!

Tom
    Double Ott.... aka: Tom.... "The Axe Mob "

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Ott For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Guys,

Treeline is AMAZING. I am new to this and he has really been patient and imparted ALOT of great information that I try to remember whenever I go out.

Treeline, I did add that helper handle but have removed it for exactly the same reason you conveyed. I can still bear down on the saw and make some great noodles as you saw above

Keyser,

Buddy, that is a great idea of making some stools. I am headed out there today or tomorrow and will cut a few 3 inch pancakes to serve as the seats. There are a lot of downed sapplings as well which I will use for legs. I'll use these stools around my fire pit in the back!!!

Treeline, that saw is singing very nicely, but I am really missing my Atkins. I just approached a property owner about a half mile away from my house who has a lot of downed trees in their back yard and he has given me the green line to go axing and sawing!!!!! I want to get one of those hand auger's or I think they may call them a barn beam augers and I would like to make a small structure out at my buddy's farm. He has over 10 years supply of down firewood he says all for the taking. I might have to make something structure wise. Now THAT would be fun.

The Woodchuck Timberjack is great for moving heavy heavy logs and for holding them to create bind free or top bind only cuts. By relieving the tension on the underside of the log first, making a top cut without bind is pretty easy with this puppy. I am normally out all by myself, so it really does help ALOT. I carry it and the saw into the woods and carry other stuff on a pack. I wouldn't want to hike miles in with it, but for me, a few hundred yards is not too much.

Lorenzo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragon63005 For This Useful Post: