Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a Gun soft case from a wool blanket??

Thanks
    Thanked 5,688 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    no, probably not... when i saw "guncase", i was thinking "long zippered bag". If you're worried about fraying edges, hem them, use a serger on the edge, or do your own serging by using a wide zigzag stitch that just comes to the very edge of the blanket.
    Ok thanks, Yah I should probably change the title. Mainly it'd just be strapped to my pack in it, and while I am sleeping so it doesn't get scraped up. So just needs to be protective and enough padding to keep it safe. Wondering though about water, think it might rust?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 486 Posts

I made another one a couple weeks ago. I used a strip of a Pendleton blanket. The crafters cut them up to make pillows and handbags and there are often long, skinny leftover strips for sale reasonably cheap on eBay. I guess they can't think of much to do with them, but we certainly can.

I lined it with a sheep-y piece of acrylic upholstery fabric for more padding that I got out of the bargain bin at Hancock Fabrics for $3.00. You could also use more blanket fabric, but I didn't have enough and kind of liked the look of the cuff folded over at the back end. You could even toss in a layer of coated nylon or vinyl between them if you wanted it waterproof.

012a.jpg

016a.jpg

The others I've built used 31 oz. coat wool (like Melton, only heavier, about blanket weight) on the inside and then suede-like upholstery fabric from the bargain bin on the outside. The outer shell then got sprayed well with 303 Fabric Guard and they are essentially rain-proof. You can either make them straight and just let them bend, like the blanket bag, or piece them together to fit the shape of the gun better like the others, depending on how much fabric you have to work with and how much energy you have.

008a.jpg

I overlock the two layers together, machine stitch them together with the seam allowance on the inside and haven't found anything I like better on the back end for closing them than a cord or thong wrapped around the end and tied - but there are endless other possibilities that would work just fine. They could also be sewn using yarn and a blanket stitch by hand (like a capote) or various types of stitching and lacing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,688 Times in 918 Posts

WOW those are cool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12