Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECWCS Fleece jackets

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 561 Posts

Default ECWCS Fleece jackets

Anyone use the military ECWCS black fleece jacket, Gen II? Bascially it is the same as The North Face Denali jacket without the $200 pricetag.

I am more of a wool person than a synthetic fleece user but I do like the fleece for a mid layer on really cold outings and I like fleece as an around town jacket on a cold day.

You can still find the 300 weight Polartec fleece jackets around for about $25 in excellent condition. New ones will be about $40. The military has gone over to Gen III and a different cold weather system and the 300 Polartec fleece has been discontinued. Great buy for those that like a synthetic fleece.

I like the inner pockets, pit zips and velcro cuffs. The jacket is in some ways more versatile than a wool sweater. Just stay away from that campfire if you're using it as an outer layer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i want the daluth trading co. one http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ets/75007.aspx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tim martin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I actually have both. I've used the Denali Jacket for almost 15 years and picked up the Gen II ECWCS fleece at an Army/Navy Surplus store about a year ago for$20 . To be honest, I think the ECWCS is actually nicer. It's got a taller collar and I think the Polartec fleece is much nicer than on my Denali (although to be fair my denali is almost 15 years old and has seen a lot of use.) Plus the ECWCS was made in the USA!! All in all I think it is a much better buy IMHO.

Thanks

I have the ECWCS one and it's great I haven't needed to where it with the parka yet not cold enough .

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 561 Posts

I have a Denali also and I like the ECWCS better too. I like the adjustable cuffs, the inside pockets and the overall cleaner look than the Denali jacket. The Denali has the 2 upper chest pockets that are nice but they detract from the clean look. I could buy 8 ECWCS Gen II jackets for the retail price of a Denali.

You can find the Denali's on sale, sometimes under $100, which is good. I still prefer the made in the USA ECWCS GenII though.

The Duluth fleece looks good, not sure of the thickness of the fleece compared to the Denali and ECWCS, which use Polartec 300 weight. There are no ventilating pit zips on the Duluth either and that is a very useful feature for hiking and doing strenuous activity with the jacket on. It keeps me from overheating. I like to have pit zips on both the fleece jackets and outer shell jackets, like my Marmot Pre-Cip or my ECWCS Gore-tex parka.

BabasBear

Tim, I have the Shoremans fleece, it is one of the best I have owned. Worth the money in my opinion.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabasBear For This Useful Post:

Banned Member Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 846 Posts

300wt black mil one here

love it bought some for the family

Scout Supporter
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

I like the gen1 "Bear Suit" jacket myself, very bulky but WARM!

Thanks

Just got the ECWS GenII jacket a couple weeks ago, heavyweight, warm, BUT the wind blasted through it like it wasn't there. Maybe it was just mine, but it definitely needs a windbreaker over it. By the way I got mine for $20 plus $10 flat shipping. Came in like-new condition.

-Farm.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,603 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Anyone use the military ECWCS black fleece jacket, Gen II? Bascially it is the same as The North Face Denali jacket without the $200 pricetag.

I am more of a wool person than a synthetic fleece user but I do like the fleece for a mid layer on really cold outings and I like fleece as an around town jacket on a cold day.

You can still find the 300 weight Polartec fleece jackets around for about $25 in excellent condition. New ones will be about $40. The military has gone over to Gen III and a different cold weather system and the 300 Polartec fleece has been discontinued. Great buy for those that like a synthetic fleece.

I like the inner pockets, pit zips and velcro cuffs. The jacket is in some ways more versatile than a wool sweater. Just stay away from that campfire if you're using it as an outer layer.
    Great jacket. I was issued this a few years ago and really like it.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast