Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you guys clean your .22 barrels? Just a patch or full scrubbing?

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,606 Times in 4,057 Posts

I don't baby my 10/22 with a "full" cleaning. I seldom touch the bore at all. After a trip to the range, I will wipe out the action/bolt as well as I can, with a rag and some Q-tips, but it's a pain, so i don't do it well or often. I generally try to use only brass/copper coated rounds, not plain lead. If I've been out hunting with it, I'll also clean the outside a little when i get home (there's usually grass, weeds, sticks, bark, or leaves stuck in it somewhere!) I also wipe down the scope and clean the lens if needed, but again, nothing fancy. I'm about the same with my .357 revolver: I will punch that barrel whenever i'm back from the range, and just wipe down the outside for debris/dust/mud if i've just had it out for a walk/ride/float.

I do a full clean on my rifle, shotgun, and .45-70 when i fire them, and a good wipedown after being out hunting with them.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Thanks

For .22s, at most I'll run a Boresnake through the barrel after a range trip. I generally will not clean a .22 barrel unless it's showing signs of deteriorating accuracy. The one thing I do is make sure that the chamber is clean, to ensure proper functioning. This can be done with a Q-tip and gun oil or solvent.

Smallbore target shooters rarely if ever clean the barrels on their (very expensive) target riles. It's not required with modern ammo, causes extra wear and tear, and .22s group differently when the barrel is clean vs. when it's fouled.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_Markowitz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Usually just a boresnake if I have run a lot.of rounds through ot in a.day. I will also wipe down the parts of the action I can get to eaisly witha lightly oiled patch or q tip. Almost all of my guns get broke down about one a.year and get a full cleaning, but I tend to shoot a lot. Something that I like to carry in the field for days when it rains fo I can keep things cleaned up is a lengrh of weed eater line that has been cut at an angle on one end and had the.other.end melted into a little button on the other. Just cut a patch and skewer it on the line and run it bdown the barrel from the breach like a boresnake. The benifit of the plasticline is lightwieght, doesn't hold grit and it's cheap.
    Sorry for the horrible spelling and extra punctuation but my gorilla paws and a phone keyboard just don't mix.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Itegorm For This Useful Post:

FWG

Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 1,068 Posts

I like boresnakes too.

If I suspect any leading, I just shoot some copper plated hi-vels.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,314 Times in 869 Posts

One thing I heard about boresnakes is that they trap the grit and stuff in the mesh weave so any little pieces of grit could be dragging through your rifles bore. I switched to the otis system because of that.

Thanks

for my 22 rifles I use a pull thru made from .080 dia weed eater string . I melt the end with a match or lighter and allow it to form a molten ball on the end a little trial and error will get to the correct size, on the other end I take a sharp knife and trim the end to a sharp point. insert the point through a patch and run it through so it rests on the now hardened plastic glob on the opposite end. dip it in hoppes and insrt the pointed end through the chamber and pull it out the muzzle end. If its good and tight it will make a pretty good seal and wipe the bore pretty good with a funny sound. repeat a few times and make sure the chamber and receiver area are cleaned up with swabs, and you're done. I'd agree with the others that more barrels are damaged by cleaning regimins than being shot with fouled bores.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hank McMauser For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used to scrub my guns down after every use. Now I don't. They get cleaned when they start acting up and not working right

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Juice For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bore snake and use it every time after shooting before I put the gun away.Bore snake is handy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mct453 For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks

i use a tornado brush and patches with hoppes cleaner. i clean after ever few boxs if its strait lead it tends to fowl the barrel faster than the copper coated.

Guide
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Hank McMauser;1478065]for my 22 rifles I use a pull thru made from .080 dia weed eater string .

hey i like that idea i think ill make a couple for feild care kit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast