Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on the 1911 platform.

Thanks

Default School me on the 1911 platform.

Hey guys, Im looking at buying an entry level 1911. Whats the best bang for the buck? Id like to stay below $600.00. I know, thats asking alot! kinds looking at the Taurus pt911. Any of yall own one? And do you know if they are a true 1911 platform. As in can it be upgraded with aftermarket goodies? Im open to any other suggestions as well. But have to stay at 600.00 or less. Thanks for any input.

Scout
    Thanks

Check out an RIA gun or a Ruger SR1911 (for about $200 more) both are good guns but the RIA may need some TLC to run 100%.

Thanks

I would wait, save up a bit more $$ and keep looking for something that will work for you. It's out there you just have to find it. Fewer dollars means fewer options.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tcc3 For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 768 Posts

Save up a bit more; the Springfield GI, Rem R1' and several others are worth it. A good friend bought the Taurus, had problems, sent it back, got another, had problems, took it back to the dealer and got a Springfield. Has had NO problems since. Others results may vary...

Regards,

ezra
    Last edited by ezra45; 02-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ezra45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,298 Posts

I'm a die hard Springfield guy myself.

Their Mil Spec is a very nice gun. I own 2 because they're cheap and they run flawlessly. The accessories are endless. Anything aftermarket will fit it.

The TRP is an awesome gun. One of my favorites. A little more then you probably want to spend.

However, if you're just wanting a 45 ACP go with the XD or XDm. Awesome gun. Extremely reliable gun. I literally have no idea how many rounds have gone through mine, all without one issue.

Just my 2 worth. YMMV

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to injun51 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

We were told in a store meeting after SHOT show that Springfield is discontinuing all their 1911 platform handguns because they can't get frames. Anyone else heard this????

Thanks

No offense to anyone that has posted here... but every problem I have ever heard about Taurus guns always starts off with "i have a friend" or "i know a guy".

I personally have owned two PT1911's(one of which I gave my Brother for his birthday). The only problem I had was with one of the magazines. For the amount of "upgrades" that come standard on the PT1911, you simply cannot beat the price. I would not hesitate to recommend a Taurus PT1911.

That being said, my favorite 1911 is my Kimber. The attention to detail, fit and finish is simply perfect. Also, knowing that it was hand assembled from start to finish, and inspected by someone in the United States, to me, is worth paying extra for.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tminish For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would suggest holding off for a while. I buy a new gun every year. The market is a little crazy right now. 4 years ago the same thing happened. I think the President has Remington stock, as he seems to be their best salesman. A few months, maybe six, will save you a few hundred dollars.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tripper Harrison For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by injun51 View Post
    I'm a die hard Springfield guy myself.

Their Mil Spec is a very nice gun. I own 2 because they're cheap and they run flawlessly. The accessories are endless. Anything aftermarket will fit it.

The TRP is an awesome gun. One of my favorites. A little more then you probably want to spend.

However, if you're just wanting a 45 ACP go with the XD or XDm. Awesome gun. Extremely reliable gun. I literally have no idea how many rounds have gone through mine, all without one issue.

Just my 2 worth. YMMV
    Ive got an XD, and love it. I've just developed a bad case 1911itis..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Horseapple For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Horseapple View Post
    Ive got an XD, and love it. I've just developed a bad case 1911itis..
    i have a springfield compact officers model and its great. it had some cosmetic issues when i got it but its a solid shooter and it handles well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wulfesinger67 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast