Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gregory VS Osprey

Would Rather Be Outside. Supporter The Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,429 Times in 1,363 Posts

Default Gregory VS Osprey

Any thoughts about these 2 brands? Going to get a new pack, and was wondering what people thought, especially between the Gregory Baltoro series versus the Osprey Aether series. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 873 Posts

I have an Osprey Atmos 50 and I love it.

It's:

-lightweight.
    -has adequate space for my particular load out (held enough gear for a 5 day, 42 mile loop).
    -durable.
    -has a fantastic warranty.

My only complaint is the shoulder straps. They are thin, as to save weight, and after 8 miles, with 40 lbs on your back, the straps dug in a bit. After 5 days it got old, but lessened with the reduction of food weight etc. This isn't a problem on shorter trips with lighter loads, and could easily be remedied by wrapping some foam around the strap where it rests the tops of your shoulders.

Otherwise, I love the pack.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.
    "..honest to the point of recklessness,
    self centered to the extreme.."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinoNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 415 Posts

I have an Osprey Aether 70 that I always use when out backpacking. The pack is comfortable, durable, everything is easily accessible, and they offer an awesome warranty. Definitely worth the money.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lars For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've owned an Aether 60 and it's very close to the perfect pack for 3-4 days if your load doesn't get over the 40 lb. mark.
    I was usually carrying 32-35 and it was very comfortable.
    I've since gone lighter and now use a Go Lite Pinnacle. Almost the same volume but a much lighter pack.

It really boils down to personal preference, fit and the way you like to load your pack.
    Both are good brands.
    Find a store that will let you put weight into them and walk around the store for 30-45 minutes.

Keep in mind that the larger your pack is the more you will carry.
    I have my load down to the 30-33 lb range now for a 4-day trip.
    Trying to figure out how to get under 30 lbs next.

WFR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WFR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Fit more important than brand

The most important thing to know is which specific pack fits you better--I'm sure one of them will work out. They are both very reputable companies that make excellent packs. I tried on both the Baltoro and Aether and ultimately decided to get a granite gear (nimbus trace). It just fit me a bit more comfortably than the others. I have a friend that backpacks with a baltoro and loves it; says it fits like a glove.

Go to a store that will let you load both of them up and take a walk around in them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ucgreen For This Useful Post:

Clinging to the Cross Supporter wooly bugger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,651 Times in 581 Posts

Both manufacturers make a great product, each with their own individual qualities. They also both have good customer service. The Gregory's tend to fit me better, but I like that almost all of the Ospreys have sleeping pad straps built in to the base of the pack. A good fit is the most important factor in picking a pack so I'd recommend a trip to REI. Good luck
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13 / Machete Mafia / Stuff for Sale - HERE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wooly bugger For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,774 Times in 2,626 Posts

Never had a Gregory, but I hear nothing but good things about them. I have an Osprey Atmos 65, Atmos 30, and Talon 22. I love all of them. Osprey makes a great product. You'll need to go somewhere like REI or EMS where you can try them both on with a load in them and see which is more comfortable. That's what it will come down to because they are both outstanding packs from outstanding companies.
    Being crazy isn't enough. ― Dr. Seuss
    Tracker Pack #22
    The Green Ridge Gang
    Check out my website - WeHikedIt.com !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazysanman For This Useful Post:

Would Rather Be Outside. Supporter The Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,429 Times in 1,363 Posts

Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate it. My main problem is, there are no stores locally that carry these type of packs, so I can't try them on. I live in the land of corn and beans, not exactly a hotbed of hiking activity. I read reviews, and it seems the Aether and Baltoro series were the most mentioned. It seems to be pretty much split down the middle. Both have great customer service, are both great packs. Osprey is lighter, but the Gregory is more comfortable, etc. Someone suggested on another forum that I should buy both, and send the one back I didn't care for, if either. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money.

Tracker
    Thanks

We got my son a Gregory Baltoro 70 for Xmas. He loves it, but when I tried it on, the lumbar support felt almost like laying on a rolled up bath towel. When I talked to one of our local outfitters, he agreed that some people like the Gregory and some think the back is too much and prefer the Osprey. He went on to say that the Gregory Baltoro and Osprey Aether (both in 70L) are his two best selling large packs.

GF

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GorillaFeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 500 Posts

I've been using the Gregory Z55 for the past few years and would not trade it. It has great capacity, simple features and light weight. I am 6' 220lbs and it fits me very well. I am not a fan of panel loaders, multi pockets or intricate suspension systems. Gregory's are top loaders, usually one compartment with a shovel pocket on the back. The suspention is simple and comfortable.

For me, it's the ideal pack.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rb For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast