Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thigh rig views

Thanks

Default Thigh rig views

I'm thinking about buying a thigh rig to wear when I go backpacking to prevent it from interfering with the kidney pad and waist belt like it would with a hip holster and would like some input on thigh rigs, or would it be to mall ninjaish ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,175 Posts

I used to drop leg sub-loads on both sides (back in the .mil day), if I didnt I felt lopsided. Sub-loads also need to have the thigh strap(s) done up pretty tight to prevent them from flopping around. They also add weight to your leg so depending on how far/fast you hike it may be an issue. The bunching under the thigh straps could also cause issues.
    The few times I had to walk long distances (training humps/ OP's in the desert) I moved my drop leg rigs to my daypack (or left them in the barracks if it was training). Did some long patrols with them on but those were pretty slow paced etc.
    It probably doesnt sound like it but I actually like drop holsters and the like. You just have to recognize like everything else they do have their drawbacks.

ETA: I had several rifle mags on my left leg and my knife/survival kit on my right. However either one was easily as heavy or heavier than most pistols if that makes a difference to you.
    Last edited by Hawkcreek; 02-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Micro WSK Pack plank owner

"Live while you're alive because everyone dies." JLRider

Original Turley Knife Club member #1 (defunct) New Turley Knife Club member #55

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,636 Times in 4,388 Posts

I prefer to carry in the same place, all the time. I trained and continue to train with my weapon on my hip, I carry my weapon on my hip, and I hike with it there as well. If you learn muscle reflex to go for the hip, and its on your thigh... well...
    http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 556mp For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,007 Posts

With all of my combat gear on I prefer the thigh rig. It works better for me.

I would like to get one of these for backpacking.

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yellow Lab For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I have tried thigh rigs and such while backpacking and just found the whole thing a bit on the awkward side. I finally picked up some strap material and some fastex buckles and turned in one of my old molly holsters into a chect rig. it gets my weapon out of the brush and right infront where i can access it without worrying about my pack getting in the way, i can post pics if you like

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grifter_v2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,567 Times in 801 Posts

I have a really nice thigh rig but it just plain feels weird. If you don't want to wear it on your regular belt, strap on an ALICE belt.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lichen For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I use a thigh holster, it makes carrying a pack a lot easier, it also works well on 4 wheeler, I prefer hip carry but a pack is all most impossible to carry hip holster . After a day or so it becomes natural and you almost forget its there.

Da Merchant of dirt. Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,892 Times in 2,301 Posts

I tried a thigh rig once, my right leg was much too short for it. (not even joking)
    Something witty.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to One Legged Josh For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 755 Posts

Not to give disrespect to anyone here but unless you are a cop or uniformed military or civilian contractor deployed, to me, a thigh rig just looks too mall ninja, especially on a hiking trail.
    Again, and I emphasize, no disrespect meant. I prefer a chest rig if the firearm is to be open carried
    I suppose that some people think me a bit weird for carrying that way but I am not insulted if they do.
    I can see it being used with an ATV; especially if one is on trails in bear country.

There are a couple of gun stores near me where the younger employees wear black thigh rigs and double rigs. I find myself avoiding being waited on them because to me, in that environment, it destroys the credibility of anything they will say to me.

Regards,

ezra

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ezra45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Not My Cup Of Tea

I am seriously old school. Having carried daily my entire adult life and I have no use for a thigh rig. I'm sure if my training had been with them I would feel different about them but either a chest rig (as mentioned earlier) or a good OWB rig are the ones I am comfortable with in the field.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast