Thread: AXE MOB Question. Is there a axe head weight to axe handle length ratio to go by?

Thanks

Default AXE MOB Question. Is there a axe head weight to axe handle length ratio to go by?

Looked through many pages trying to make sure I am not re asking this question. Mods, do your work if need be. Is there a ratio for axe head weight to axe handle length. The reason I ask, I have a small Hudson Bay style hatchet my dad gave me when I was really young. Crazy enough I could take you directly to the spot I chopped my first tree with it. I would like to re hang the hatchet head on a longer handle, more like a 19" for my woods trips. I see it as giving it more oomph when splitting or chopping in the woods VS using the smaller handle. I donít want to break any axe rules or possibly be laughed at it public due to my lack of knowledge. Iím always broke and would like to purchase a Wetterlings or Grans Bruks but just cant swing that kind of money right now. Just dealing with the scraps Iím giving. Any help appreciated. Hopefully this will clear up someone elseís question about it too. Trust me, it took me some time to get up the courage to ask this without being worried of scrutiny.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbecampin For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

The size of your axe eye is important as to what length handle you can buy.
    For instance; you probably couldn't get a full size single bit handle to work (which I no that's not what you want. It's just an example), but you possibly could get a 19" handle to work if you can find one. It depends.
    Or you could try and make your own.

How much does the head weigh?

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wilderness For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It has a lot to do with personal preference. I have heavier 4 - 5 pound axes on 26-28" handles and I have lighter 2 - 3 1/2 on 36" handles. Same goes for double and single bit axes. Generally 3 1/2 pound and up axes you want to be on a 32-36" haft. Lighter axes you want on a 24-28" haft. But it is still personal preference. Longer handles give you more power but also wear you out faster because they are harder to swing and also harder to control. Shorter handles are easier to control and work better in dense areas but lack in power a bit. Experiment with different lengths and determine what you prefer. That's the only way you will know what's right for you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vermillion8604 For This Useful Post:

Turley Club# 177 Supporter xRangerx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,292 Times in 1,925 Posts

Does your axe/hatchet look similar to this?

The head on this weighs about a pound and a half. And I went with an 18 inch handle and I like it alot! Has just enough weight forward to give it the "oomph" your looking for but I can still control it.

Here is the link to my experience
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...xe-(Pic-heavy)

PM me or post here if I can answer any questions!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xRangerx For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbecampin View Post
    Trust me, it took me some time to get up the courage to ask this without being worried of scrutiny.
    No worries 'bout that here, everybody likes to help and they know this is the place to get answers.
    By the way, from a poor boy, GB's & Whetts ain't the only good axes around. Vintage steel (Plumb, Collins, True Temper and the like) are very good. May have to look for 'em and clean 'em up and hang 'em, but still cheaper and just as good. (Hey, in my mind, if they cut well, hold an edge, can be afforded by me and are in my hand......just as good or better).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to darkwolf777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Old vintage axes are better than the axes nowadays.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vermillion8604 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xRangerx View Post
    Does your axe/hatchet look similar to this?

The head on this weighs about a pound and a half. And I went with an 18 inch handle and I like it alot! Has just enough weight forward to give it the "oomph" your looking for but I can still control it.

Here is the link to my experience
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...xe-(Pic-heavy)

PM me or post here if I can answer any questions!
    It is exactly that. I appreciate your post and followed over to your link. More confident now to go on with it. Thanks Brother!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbecampin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    The size of your axe eye is important as to what length handle you can buy.
    For instance; you probably couldn't get a full size single bit handle to work (which I no that's not what you want. It's just an example), but you possibly could get a 19" handle to work if you can find one. It depends.
    Or you could try and make your own.

How much does the head weigh?

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
    I believe its a 1.5 lb head. I dont have a scale that will weigh that small. I would like to try my hand at making my own handle. I have just recently started looking into building myself a shaving horse. Just picked up some lumber from a trash pile to go towards building it. I bought a draw knife about a year ago at a trade show for $7 to help with this venture.

Turley Club# 177 Supporter xRangerx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,292 Times in 1,925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbecampin View Post
    It is exactly that. I appreciate your post and followed over to your link. More confident now to go on with it. Thanks Brother!
    No problem at all, I'm just passin around the knowledge! I would highly recommend househandle.com I went with the scout axe handle AA grade 18". I would say that it is worth the money to have them hand pick one for you.

Feel free to ask any questions!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xRangerx For This Useful Post: