View Poll Results: Should we continue the contest longer?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 45.45%
  • No

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New contest coming up! Swedish fire stove.

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,991 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default New contest coming up! Swedish fire stove. It's here now!

Is there going to be any interest in this or should I scrap it...too much trouble? finding a log the right size and dryness? Let me know...need 5 to make it worthwhile. March 15th at 6:00 is the deadline
    Just some preliminaries first; then I give a demo with more specifications and then you try it. Have two knives(folders...one friction...one spydie and a whistel for the prizes) Spyderco is a Gin-1 all serrated rescue style, orange scales, fricition folder is more of a custom that I can't find who made it. Whistle is just an orange rescue whistle. I have made a swedish stove and they work very well but I made a big one with a chain saw, etc. Here are some preliminaries...piece of wood of your choosing cannot be over 7" in diameter and down to 4 1/2". Can't be more than 16" in height. no power tools allowed...you need to split the wood into 4 pieces close as you can to the same size and then put it back together in the way you see fit. no accelerants, fat wood, birch bark but any other wood, shavings can be used. My idea of this is that one should be able to use tools in their backpack to make this...saw, axe, cord, etc. The ultimate to win is to get one cup of water boiling the fastest put on the top. the container can be of your choosing. Trying to not make this too technical(last one was) so that more people will try it and probably something that some have never done before. I think they are fun to make and pretty impressive. you can practice as much as you want and I would advise it but only one video counts posted. If I were you I would play around with wood you think would work better and just test things out. that is why I am going to go slow on this. I will post pics of the prizes soon...tomorrow or the next day. And then show my video of one way you can do it. This is open to international membes as well especially since the idea I believe came from Sweden. You can start looking at vids of swedish fire stoves to get ideas but there will be certain requirements on limits on this one, dimensions, tools used, accelerants, and how it is lit. Time starts when you first light it and stops when you show the water is a rolling boil. There may be more prizes but probably it will go to just the first place unless a tie.
    PICK YOUR WOOD WELL PLEASE DO THIS IN VIDEO FOR THE MAJOR PART. ACCOMPANING PICUTRES WOULD BE FINE AS WELL.This should be fun so get your knives sharp your axes shined and your twine ready.
    Ok have decided on the prizes and these are biggies! Will be a second place and first place. First place is the drover bhk knife and second is the three spoken of already. here they are!
    first place:used but in super shape and very sharp edge...little patina on it but any bushcraft person would be proud to own this one

second place

Last edited by kcardwel; 03-06-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Axe Mob Member
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ghosthonda

Banned Member
    Thanks

your choosing cannot be over 7" in diameter and down to 4 1/2". Can't be more than 16" in height.

I'm confused by the 4 1/2". I thought a log 7" diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Then I read 16" limit. 7 x 6" okay to use?

Can a cotton ball be used to light the kindling? Not necessary but it would save me trekking through 2' of snow for some birch bark.

I'm going to do this in my fire place too. Hope that's not cheating. LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 350 Posts

no accelerants, fat wood, birch bark but any other wood, shavings can be used.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xj35s View Post
    your choosing cannot be over 7" in diameter and down to 4 1/2". Can't be more than 16" in height.

I'm confused by the 4 1/2". I thought a log 7" diameter and 4 1/2" tall. Then I read 16" limit. 7 x 6" okay to use?

Can a cotton ball be used to light the kindling? Not necessary but it would save me trekking through 2' of snow for some birch bark.

I'm going to do this in my fire place too. Hope that's not cheating. LOL.
    Hey X, I read that to mean the diameter of the log could range from 4 and 1/2 inches to 7 inches in diameter, and up to 16" in height. And no cotton balls...
    Hope that helps.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mukluk For This Useful Post:

Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

yes Mukluk is right; diameter of the log can go from 4 1/2 to 7"...height can go up to 16"...no cotton balls. I would encourage you to do this at home if you can't get out to do it as long as your burn restrictions allow it. These don't act as precarious as a full blown fire. I haven't picked my log so not sure if I will be out in the bush, bring it home or just what yet.
    Last edited by kcardwel; 02-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Axe Mob Member

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kcardwel For This Useful Post:

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Grillsgt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captainamer View Post
    no accelerants, fat wood, birch bark but any other wood, shavings can be used.
    Are you sayng that the fat wood and birch bark are not to be used? They are natural tinders.

Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

yes, saying no birch bark or fatwood for two reasons: some peopel just can't get ahold of them and also want you to concentrate on the log you have and other wood curls, pencil size wood, etc. normally I would use fatwood myself in a situation like this but to be even in the contest we will not allow it. one thing (not realistic necessarily out in camping situation) would be to split your log into the four pieces and wait a day and let it air out too and then put back together....even bringing it in where there is warmth might help.
    Axe Mob Member

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kcardwel For This Useful Post:

Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

this boy has a good video at the bottom of this page for some good hints...you don't have to bind the four pieces together if you don't want....if you don't make sure you put your log on something dry so the tinder in the cracks doesn't get exposed to anything wet. putting the two sticks to allow for more air was good as well as having a lid for you cup or pot so it contains the heat better.
    http://twistedsifter.com/2012/01/how...-a-single-log/
    Axe Mob Member

Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

this guy does it a different way...quite a bit of work and uses a wet log(which may be all you have if you are out and about). One thing I would suggest since time is important is to use a match or lighter to light your tinder and I would light both tinder cuts in the two directions to get it going faster. I like the way he make a feather stick and put it in so it stuck out from both sides.
    Axe Mob Member

Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

ok, here is my vid. learned a few things making a smaller one like this so good that I got to doing one of these. Pick your wood well; make sure everything is dry, make sure you give your fire enough oxygen, use whatever you want for tinder inside...I found that packing it too tight keeps out the oxygen, pack to halfway and light from the top, put your pot on any time but put it on a couple of sticks to raise it up to keep allowing oxygen to your fire and most of all have FUN
    contest will go to March 15, Friday at 6:00 pm pacific time. International members are welcome and this is only open to bushcraft forum members. Oh and jute twine is allowed as tinder or tying the stump together as well as 550 cord or whatever rope you like.
    My time was 9:40. also a good point to realize it only took about 3 and a half minutes for the water to boil once I had put the pan on so that is darn good. also the time starts once you light your tinder IN or ON the stump. I said it a little early on mine. You can light your match but it isn't until you actually get the tinder lit on the stump.
    One more important thing: Must have at least 5 people entering because of the value of the prizes.
    Last edited by kcardwel; 02-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Axe Mob Member

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kcardwel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast