Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch surplus stainless mess tins

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

Default Dutch surplus stainless mess tins

These are Dutch surplus mess tins (or “mess kit” to us Americans; I think the Aussies call this style of mess tins “dixies”). They are not the cheapest “UK” style mess tins, but as far as I know they are the only ones made in stainless steel other than BCB’s Crusader tins. I figure they will not be available as forever, so I picked up two sets.

So, other than being stainless steel, what is interesting about them? Well, if I understand the markings correctly, these are of fairly recent manufacture. The photos below are “as-received”; you can see one clearly has seen some use and the other very little use. The cleaner one is marked “KL 06” and “DUT”. From another post on BCUSA, the “KL” is for “Koninklijke Landmacht” (Royal Netherlands Army) and “06” would be a 2006 date of manufacture. “DUT” is presumable a manufacturer’s code. The more used mess tins are marked “MvD07” and actually has a website stamped on instead of a maker’s code: "www-dot-deltahouten-dot-nl" I am guessing the”Mvd” is for Ministry of Defense (Ministerie van Defensie in Dutch) and “07” is for 2007. If true, 2006 would be the last year they were marked for the “Royal Netherlands Army”. Times they are a-changing.

The 2007 mess tins have a fair bit of use for an item being in service for, at most, five years. However, the fact that such items are already surplused would seems to indicate that the Dutch Army no longer considers mess tins a useful item. This would support my hunch that these mess tins won’t be available forever. Maybe it’s all disposable plastic kit from now on.

I do not have a UK mess tin set (the “standard”) to compare them to, but I do have a Danish set in aluminum. Sizewise, the Dutch stainless tins are smaller. The larger Dutch tin is about the same size as the smaller Danish tin, being about the same in width and just a touch longer.

The large Dutch tin will hold three 8 oz cups of water quite comfortably, and perhaps 4 cups with a bit of care (it is not to the brim). The small Dutch tin will hold 2 cups of water easily, and 3 cups with care.

The stainless Dutch tins are quite thin gauge, being about 0.020 thick versus the Danish aluminum tins that have a thickness of about 0.055. This thinness allows the larger Dutch tin to “oil can” a bit in the larger flat areas; no permanent sets or dents but the aluminum tins don’t do this as they are stiffer. The rolled lip of the Dutch tins is probably there to reinforce the thin gauge – and perhaps to keep one from cutting himself on a sharp edge! The oil canning is not of concern, though. The Dutch stainless tins feel quite sturdy.

I will note that aluminum tins politely “clink” as they are used. The stainless tins “clang” rather proudly, and any grit in the handle joint will give a protesting squeak when the handles are rotated. The stainless tins are “noiser” than the aluminum ones. It is of no real bother, just something I noticed in comparison.

The Dutch mess tins are quite interesting. I’ve never used a “UK” style tin before. Hopefully over time I’ll try both the Dutch stainless ones and the Danish aluminum ones. In the meantime, it can’t hurt to have a few spare mess kits.

Scout
    Thanks

Thanks for posting, mind me asking how much you picked the dutch tin up for?

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

$15 per, then shipping, from Coleman's Military Surplus.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rescout For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That would make a great container for a possibles kit.

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

Here's a photo of the Dutch mess tins with a package of Ramen noodles in the small tin to give a sense of size. The can is 15 oz, also for size reference.

This photo has the Dutch tins inboard, flanked by their Danish aluminum counterparts. I've moved the Ramen to the small Danish tin. Not only is the Danish counterpart larger, it is deeper too.

The khaki cover goes with the Danish tins. For anyone interested, Numrich Gun Parts offers the Danish tins in excellent condition for less than six bucks. The description states "no cover provided" but I have received four sets and all four included a cover. Maybe they don't want to bother sorting into those with and those without covers; clearly they do not promise one. There are no belt loops on the cover but still nice to have. The covers are musty, some have some frayed threading and some are dirty. The tins, however, are indeed in excellent condition. Of the four sets, all but one small tin appears completely unused. They have the usual bare aluminum wear, such as where the rivets of the pans rub against each other. Numrich's shipping is a reasonable $6.50 and you can call their order line and they will give you a code for $4.95 off shipping to encourage you to order online. I ordered three sets in one order, and it was less then $20 delivered.
    Last edited by rescout; 02-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rescout For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Probably getting a kit for fathers day. Like the looks, thanks for the thread

Thanks

Not sure if it's true or not but many years ago I was told the original British tin was sized to fit a single tin of Army bully beef and one pack of hard tack inside it. The Aussie dixies have the handles swiveling on the sides which I prefer but you really do need a bag and padding of some description to stop the wear and noise.
    I no longer have mine; middle daughter borrowed and has "Misplaced" and they aren't cheap over here as nothing comes to surplus [ everything gets destroyed for security reasons] even this sort of kit.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Not sure if it's true or not but many years ago I was told the original British tin was sized to fit a single tin of Army bully beef and one pack of hard tack inside it. The Aussie dixies have the handles swiveling on the sides which I prefer but you really do need a bag and padding of some description to stop the wear and noise.
    I no longer have mine; middle daughter borrowed and has "Misplaced" and they aren't cheap over here as nothing comes to surplus [ everything gets destroyed for security reasons] even this sort of kit.
    I used to wrap my inner set of handles in electrical tape & then a big rubber band on the outside. Kept the Cpl out of my face when it came to rattle. Also if you could get your hands on the old green ammo pouches they would slide inside nice and tight with enough room for your KFS.
    Last edited by rurik; 05-27-2013 at 05:38 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rurik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,642 Times in 662 Posts

Thanks for posting. That looks like a nice-sized kit, and versatile, too. Any chance you could post a weight?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MohaveGreen For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Hey I saw a heap of these is a shope in Canberra yesterday for less than $30 pm me if you want the details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast