Thread: Waxing a canvas bag with wax toilet rings

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,097 Posts

Default Waxing a canvas bag with wax toilet rings

I am looking to wax a linen havesack bag, and came across a couple threads where people mentioned they used toilet rings to do this. I think I am going to go this route, as its cheap, and effective. However, I have a question; no one mentions HOW they do it. Do you simply melt it down, then brush it on? Do you mix it with other chemicals? Looking for anwers, as this is going to be my weekend project. I did some searching on the forums, and, other than casual references, couldnt find anything specific on how it was done. Thanks!
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,544 Times in 2,509 Posts

Only thing about toilet ring wax is it stays so sticky for years . Id hope you mix something with it to harden it a bit like ashes with pine pitch or something . Curious how this turns out tho .
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

3. The Following User Says Thank You to riverjoe For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I believe they're made with beeswax. You'll want to mix with a different wax, like food-grade paraffin. Mix them 50/50.

you should be able to stick them in a container, then put that in a pot of hot water until it melts... stir to mix, then brush onto your fabric. You'll need to later heat up your fabric with a hair dryer, heat gun, i've read where people stick them in a pillowcase and put in the dryer but that will get wax in your dryer...
    Last edited by chorpie; 02-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chorpie For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 269 Posts

I don't think anyone who has ever mentioned using a toilet ring has ever actually used it to wax fabric with.

don't know why people keep mentioning it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDaddyO For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyO View Post
    I don't think anyone who has ever mentioned using a toilet ring has ever actually used it to wax fabric with.

don't know why people keep mentioning it.
    Strange, since I just read this:
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...ax-Toilet-Ring

People probably keep mentioning it because they're curious how a $2 ring of beeswax from an easily obtained source will work out for their projects.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chorpie For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,097 Posts

That was the thread I originally found. However, no one commented on how they did it, or, how it worked out, over time (two things I was specifically looking to find out).
    My blog: http://oldsoldiersadventures.blogspot.com/ Intermediate cert progression: 2 of 11 classes, 0 of 7 electives, 2 of 3 overnights, 5 of 10 outings.

Thanks

Unfortunately, toilet rings are no longer made with bee's wax. It's now a synthetic wax that stays soft and sticky for just about forever.

It might work if you throw in some candle wax or something that will add some stiffness and durability.

Just melt it all together in a double boiler kinda rig, brush it on and set it into the fabric with a hair dryer, heat gun (CAREFULLY!!!) or some other low heat source.

I've read that it can be useful to stuff the item into an old pillow case and chuck it into a clothes dryer for a while, too. Probably best to do this with an item that has already had the wax worked into the fibers, though. I would go to a laundromat to keep wives or girlfriends from having coronaries.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Holmesmade For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I posted the thread cited. I used mineral spirits to melt the ring and painted a tarp with a brush. It worked good. I might have been a little sticky, but no more than sno-seal or filsons wax. But I am happy with it.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackietreehorn For This Useful Post:

Woods Bum Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,803 Times in 3,810 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jackietreehorn View Post
    But I am happy with it.
    guess that settles it! thanks.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir