Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Adahy's 2013 Work in Progress - Hand Sculpted Carvings and Tools.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,342 Times in 4,066 Posts
    Items for Sale

Exclamation Adahy's 2013 Work in Progress - Hand Sculpted Carvings and Tools.

I decided to retire my older 'Work in Progress' thread and start a new one. That was started in November 2011 about six months before I became a vendor. It's kind of funny, back when I started that project, I had no idea I'd become an official 'vendor' here at BCUSA.

Even though it's only just however many hundreds of days later, maybe six hundred something?... You can really look thru that thread and see rapid progression. There is a reason as soon as I'm finished with a carving project I put it away and grab about log without looking back.
    I've realized that everytime I start a new project I have more knowledge and skills gained and I'm excited to start the new piece, and try out the new cuts and theories I've learned from the last one.
    For now instead of making a carving thread, seperate tools thread, etc.. I will compile it all into one here.

So this will be where I catalogue my projects up to date. Not all of them, but the majority of it all. As some of you may know I've been planning some big things the past couple of months. I'm designing and hand forging my own line of carving tools with Matt of MP KNIVES. (A vendor collaboration.. what is the world coming to?!?!?!?

We haven't announced anything officially, or when things will be up for sale... but we have started our 'Research and Development' stage in the process. He's been teaching me to hammer the anvil on my own, and we've both come up with some exciting new knives.

I present the ________ Large Hook/Spoon Knife:

I keep getting a lot of questions about where, when, how....We're not making these with stock removal methods. Were making these the old fashioned way... with a flame, hammer, and anvil. No cutting out cookie cutter sheets of metal, and sharpening a drawn on bevel.. we're going to get cut, get burned..and it's all a part of the process.

and I really do mean what I say.. I must test these thoroughly. Being able to slice a piece of paper, or making a feather stick is not a 'real test' in my book. I will actually be carving kuksas, spoons, and other things with these before advancing to the next design. There's a lot more to a knife than just the very sharp edge.. especially with a carving tool.. that is bent. We've already made about 3-4 different 'Large Hook Spoon Knives' and they're all great, but I'm looking for something I haven't been able to find with the other great smiths who make similar knives. (Del Stubbs, Svente, Karlsson, Orford, Budd) So I'm posting a photograph of the first model that we've both decided should be the official first model.

Something I'm still deciding is how I'm going to handle these. Most of the other makers of spoon knives put generic/quickie handles on their knives. This is a way to keep costs down. Well I've broken off most of my handles on my Karlsson knives and he charges $60-80 per knife. So I'm pretty set on the idea that I will be sourcing the handles myself and carving them to shape. This means, harvesting the materials locally, burning the hole for the tang to be inserted (which gives a perfect custom fit) , and shaping it all with a knife. Materials will change of course and I'm not sure if I'll offer options of wood. Everything is still up in the air still. Lately I've been making handles out of Yew, which is as tough as nails unstabilized. It also cuts with a glass finish. Some people don't like the tooled surface of handles, but I assure you there is a method to my madness. Sure I could waste time and money sanding for hours to make factory looking handles, but the tooled texture is KEY. It's all about grip, and actually being able to feel the tool. These are sharper than any spoon knives I've used and it's just another level of safety having a better grip. It's a really easy knife to get cut with since 99% of all cuts are towards your chest, and or thumb.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to offer something that isn't really available. Fine tuned carving tools. Most are made for the carver to personalize, and there is nothing wrong with that approach. That's a very old school tool mentality.. hence why most vintage axes have huge cheeks.. they're made to modify specifically for the tool's purpose. I will be honing these ready for carving.

I'd like to also state that I'm not saying these are better than other similar knives around the world. I've used a good majority of them and always found them missing something. Each one had it's positives and negatives. After modifying some, having numerous blades custom made, talked to other very influential carvers.. I realized I should try this myself. Which only made sense financially, and as a carver. I really believe that understanding the tool itself and it's relationship with wood is one of the key factors of mastering a tool or technique. I'm far from mastering anything, but learning why these cut where the cut, the sweet spots, and all of the cons will help me improve many of my skills.

Every tool made will be something I would personally use and love. I'm not making knives, slapping some glue and a handle and throwing it in a box. I have to spend a lot of time sharpening, honing, and testing.. if I won't use it, I won't sell it.

Anyways enough rambling..

I present to you the ______ Large Hook/Spoon Knife. [No name yet] This is a left handed spoon knife. Large hook is great for general purposes... digging the bowl, and also cleaning cuts.
    The handle material is locally harvested yew. Very ancient wood, with a peculiar colored grain.

This knife was custom made for a fellow here on the forum. I will make a 'waiting list' thread or something similar once I get more details covered.

Here is the right handled version in the same handle material. This has a more exagerated handle. Naturally crooked and has different 'flip grips' involved. I may also decide to make all handles bent. This really aids in torque, and also is easier on your bones in some cases.
    The handle was whittled to fit my hand, so in other words... this one is mine!

I just got a 10,000 grit Waterstone from Cellis (Another great vendor here) You can go to his shop by clicking here. I am a huge fan of this sharpening method. It's messy, the stones are delicate, but there is nothing like the sound of a knife on a stone. It's like carvers meditation.
    I will probably be sharpening these tools with this method. (Which is expensive and takes time)

The small knife in the photo is a 'Sloyd' Knife Matt and I came up with. It's our take on the swedish carving knives. This is about as long as my pinky finger, and comes to a very agressive point for detail carving. I can Carve a spoon or kuksa with just these three tools.

Last edited by Adahy; 02-23-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My Website The Axe is Bold as Love
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Here is the lefty spoon hook (unsharpened) next to a Svente Djarv hook.

Sharp?? It passes my test with a thumbs up!

This weeks sales. All sorts of treen.

Last night I got a new Silky saw from Cellis' shop. I'll never use a Bahco every again. I was so excited that I went for a moonlit hike in the woods behind the house to find a spoon tree. I decided on Black/Sweet Birch.
    The same went thru it like butter, and I was home in five minutes to get to carving. I have to say.. hiking with only moonlight and felling a tree felt very ancient to me for some reason... there was still snow on the ground, so everything had a pale silver glow to it.

Here is what I crafted. This birch species if a lot harder than the others.. but it leaves a much nicer finish I'd have to say.
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

thread is open, post away fine treen folk!!
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks

Default Another Subscription Begins!

Good Luck and great job so far!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurelius For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More great pieces.... Looking forward to seeing more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JPGoober For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Your thread commentaries are on a much higher level than everybody elses, man. You really know how to pull in the reader. :-)

So Silkys are a notch up from Bahco Laplanders? Interesting. I always thought of them as somewhat similar. I saw Cellis' kiridashis earlier ... I'll make an order with him soon.

Just to note from my experience, curved carving knives intrigue a lot of folks I know. But the biggest drawback to them is the complexity of sharpening them *properly*. You might have a more improved selling process if you provide a complimentary and detailed assessment (and/or with YouTube links) of how to easily sharpen them. That might persuade folks who are on the fence (due to sharpening issues) to pull the trigger!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crco For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,186 Times in 3,352 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crco View Post
    Your thread commentaries are on a much higher level than everybody elses, man. You really know how to pull in the reader. :-)

So Silkys are a notch up from Bahco Laplanders? Interesting. I always thought of them as somewhat similar. I saw Cellis' kiridashis earlier ... I'll make an order with him soon.

Just to note from my experience, curved carving knives intrigue a lot of folks I know. But the biggest drawback to them is the complexity of sharpening them *properly*. You might have a more improved selling process if you provide a complimentary and detailed assessment (and/or with YouTube links) of how to easily sharpen them. That might persuade folks who are on the fence (due to sharpening issues) to pull the trigger!
    Here is a fun one

http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 556mp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Crco View Post

Gee thanks Craig! I worry too much about scaring people off with my ramblings.. beating around the bush... not getting to the point 8)

Well I had my Bahco for over a year. Used it everytime I camped .. cutting green wood and seasoned hardwood. After my last Ohio trip, I was getting really cold numbed hands from how long it took to cut thru 3-4" elm. The teeth still felt really sharp.. but I saw BushTramp's videos and his silky slays trees. So I thought I'd try one out, and at least in my opinion... I think it's 20X better.

You are correct on the sharpening thing, and Matt already beat me to it. I plan on making new videos since that was shot with my cell phone Don't tell HBO, Discovery, or AMC!
    Also my sharpening skills have vastly improved. That was filmed a year ago I believe. I may show different methods. Japanese waterstones are pricey, so some may scoff at that fancy stuff. So I will do sandpaper for the DIY guys as well. I just need to save up about $400 for a new HUGE harddrive before I coninue my video making.

Thanks again, your comments are always warming and your insight is always dead on. You're getting close to being a kuksa carver manager by the minute brother! haha
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks

Oh man can't wait till those spoon knives become available.
    What model silky saw did you get Alex? Was going to upgrade from my cheapy Gerber to a Bahco but might have to change that now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to silhouette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by silhouette View Post
    Oh man can't wait till those spoon knives become available.
    What model silky saw did you get Alex? Was going to upgrade from my cheapy Gerber to a Bahco but might have to change that now.
    Youre on my list of folks to email first!

I got this saw from Cellis.

I like supporting other vendors here, and besides.. it was around 10$ cheaper than amazon so it's a double benefit. I'd recommend it. It flexes a little more than a Bahco, BUT this also means I need to let the saw do more work instead of getting really rammy with it.

I love it, and for the price it's killer.
    Last edited by Adahy; 02-22-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Adahy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast