Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding Saws

Thanks

Default Folding Saws

Maybe it is just me, but I can't seem to use these things correctly. I've tried a few now and wondered if I am doing something wrong or it is just time to upgrade to a different model.

First, I began with a no-name orange folding saw with a rubber grip handle. It somewhat resembles the widely available $10 Fiskars saw with the chunky handle and lockback lever on the back. After giving it a fair shake, I finally retired it since it would not really cut much of anything without a massive struggle.

Now, I moved onward to a Fiskars brand saw pictured below . I think it is one that is a little less common, but it wields the "Power Tooth" line of saw blade that exhibits aggressive teeth that cut on the pull only. It appeared to be a great improvement over my previous saw simply because a slightly functioning saw always beats a non-functioning piece of plastic junk. Even despite my efforts to get a feel for this thing, I still struggle plenty when sawing through all kinds of wood. It sticks constantly, which seems to be the point of failure for the blade. If it sticks in the wood, then the battle with the saw begins.

61J1XRMc-jL._SL1500_.jpg

Is it me? Or, is it the saw? It seems like everyone on youtube cruises through wood like it is some kind of joke. As for me, I feel like I'd be better off taking my Wetterlings LHA to the log and cross cutting. I am unsure if I am pushing too hard on the blade, causing it to jam in the wood. Or, maybe my saw choice is what is lacking. Thanks for the help...

P.S. - This post serves as semi-justification for purchasing a Bahco Laplander, but I want to make sure that it will solve my problem.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ljcsov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,676 Times in 2,049 Posts

i've got experience with one folding saw: the corona from lowes, which is curved, and cuts on the pull. i've put mine through some wicked tough seasoned hardwood. as long as i do not force things, it goes through wood like termites on meth. perhaps a curved saw might help. the corona costs about $20.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Foreman For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

I've been using a Laplander for a couple of years now. It does cut very well. In the beginning, it did have problems with sticking. Upon close inspection, I could see that the outside of the teeth had a burr. Like, if you ran your fingernail down the blade, it would get caught on the very tip of the tooth. So I took some 1000 grit sandpaper and very lightly sanded the teeth, blade flat against the sandpaper. That eliminated the sticking issue.

If you really want to rule out the saw, you should get a Silky. From what I've heard and read, these are the highest quality and unmatched in cutting smoothness. In fact, I ordered a Silky Bigboy from cellis here on the forum. Hasn't arrived yet, but his prices are great and his service and responsiveness to questions is top notch. Check out his website, he has all sizes: https://www.cellison.net/

BTW, I also have a Wetterlings LHA and it is a great combo with a Laplander.
    Last edited by penetrator; 02-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penetrator For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I like my Bahco Laplander saw a gear deal. I liked it well enough to buy a second one for the truck toolbox.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Med Gecko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,618 Times in 1,914 Posts

Been using a Coghlens (sp) for nearly 30 years.
    One trick I learned, don't put much pressure on the saw when you're cutting.

Sent from...
    "Now Im gonna to turn into a coyote and eat the Nabors cat." - M/BK

TP #TU SEFN /MACHETE MAFIA/BS #76

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DBX For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Foreman View Post
    i've got experience with one folding saw: the corona from lowes, which is curved, and cuts on the pull. i've put mine through some wicked tough seasoned hardwood. as long as i do not force things, it goes through wood like termites on meth. perhaps a curved saw might help. the corona costs about $20.
    +1 on the Corona 10-in Folding Pruning Saw from Lowes. I love mine. The curved blade digs in while my other straight blade saw just cuts across the top so to speak. I also love the 10" blade vice other 7" or 8" folding saws.
    038313072650.jpg

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stronghorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,965 Times in 2,710 Posts

In the post you said it sticks when pushing it, all that I have seen are pull cuts and have a Silky Gomboy that cuts better than any I have seen so far.

Larry
    Just my opinion, I COULD be wrong!!

Turley #88 GEEZER

AXE MOB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bax 40 For This Useful Post:

Mora Tribe Council Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,846 Times in 679 Posts
    Items for Sale

I use both a Bahco and a Home Depot silky knockoff. Love them both but the Home Depot saw is smaller and seems (at least to me) to cut faster and smoother. Plus its more compact in my kit.
    John 14:6 Job 12:7-10
    Christian, Mora Tribesman, Axe Mob, Machete Mafia and Fatwoodsman Proud
    Pipe Smoker and Old Folding Saw Fogey (Wooo! Thinks that's enuff!)
    God bless America.....again!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nature Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You may know this but I figured some food for thought here, make sure that you are not pressing down on the wood as you are cutting it. Pressing down on the wood will it to squeeze your blade and make it bind. Allow the weight of the wood to begin to open up the cut each cut.
    Hope this helps.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stronghorse For This Useful Post:

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 1,922 Posts

+2 and +3 on the corona. Bigger to carry than the bahco. I have two Laplanders and two Gerber saws but the corona while bigger to carry really sails through wood and is only $19.99. It it is non essential wood cutting during temperate climate bachos fine. If its cold or critical wood cutting then the corona or my northwest woodsman bucksaw. Corona + axe = warmth and shelter. Good times. Bahco for me although small enough to carry in a cargo pocket or back pocket is fine for smaller stuff. Compared to the corona on the same wood it took allot more calories and time. But either way dirt time = fun time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rolandsilvajr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast