Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note for New Carvers

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,954 Times in 664 Posts

Default A Note for New Carvers

I've thought about making this post for a long time, but I have hesitated because I don't want to sound elitist or like a know-it-all. I've decided to go ahead and make it though in the spirit of trying to be a good teacher. A major part of teaching and learning is constructive criticism, and this is certainly meant to be constructive.----- I have noticed a number of posts with spoons and other carvings that had some really rough spots in the work, especially in tight curves. The reason for the roughness - "chatter marks" made by blades that are simply too wide for the carving being done. It's just plain physics - you can't turn a F-350 in the same tight radius you can turn a Honda Civic, and you can't make a wide blade cut a tiny radius either. It ends up being a scraper for part of the cut, therefore the chatter marks. Of course it helps to carve near the tip of the blade, but there are still clear limits. I would strongly suggest to any new carver that they try a Mora 120 or 106. I have read many times that the 120 is the most popular carving knife in the world, and there is a reason. The shape and size have been developed over centuries to do the best job on small carvings. Another advantage is that the R62 core of the 120 will hold an edge a lot longer than the softer Woodlores or plain carbon Moras. In the photos, look at the width of the large blades in comparison with the size of the small corners necessary to make the carvings - then make the same comparison with the Moras DESIGNED FOR CARVING. Also look at the designs carved into the handles of the spoons - all done with the tip of a 120 and simply impossible with the larger blades. So -- for about $15. any beginning carver could and should purchase a proper carving tool. It will greatly reduce frustration and will immediately lead to much cleaner and pleasurable carving. (Please don't ban me - really trying to help.) Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 4,091 Times in 1,052 Posts

Jim...good one.

The 120 really is a perfect carver in almost every way. Cheap as chips and almost perfectly ground for use right out of the box. I like the 106 too for a bit longer reach sometimes.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Schwert For This Useful Post:

Baryonyx Walkeri Vendor FortyTwoBlades's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,842 Times in 3,063 Posts

Wait...let me get this straight...you're saying that a tool actually designed for carving works best for carving?!?! Somebody ban this dude!

Sound advice and good post.
    Baryonyx Knife Co.--Owner

"To live at all is miracle enough"~Mervyn Peake

Machete Mafia

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FortyTwoBlades For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,069 Posts

Oh fun! Another knife to buy!

Thanks for the excuse!

ETA: Those spoons are beautiful! (and the fork too)
    Last edited by FreeMe; 02-28-2013 at 02:18 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 410 Posts

Thanks for the good info. I guess I will be adding a 120 to the herd.
    And that wasn't elitist at all. Simply a good member with advanced skill passing on some great advice to less experienced members like myself!
    I do appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing,

SFH

ETA: Your work is awesome, and inspiring!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SemperFiHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thank you for your insight, i have been getting more into carving in the last few months and i will take any advice i can get. i have been using my condor bushlore which carves good, but is a little tricky to get into those tight quarters. i think you titled this thread perfectly, as i drew me directly to it. ill pick one of these up and give it a shot.

thanks man.

Thanks

Thank you so much for this post. I have been reading the posts of the carvers here and trying to learn what I can. I do not consider myself very creative or artistic, but I do like making my own tools and such. You guys have inspired me to try making my own cups and spoons, etc. Now, I know the tool to get first and hopefully start actually carving. Thanks again for the insightful posting. -Leatherstocking

12. The Following User Says Thank You to leatherstocking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 Times in 756 Posts
    Items for Sale

Jim,

My problem with this post is that you waited...c'mon! Throw the rest of us a bone.

What's next?

Adam

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam B For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Jim...good one.

The 120 really is a perfect carver in almost every way. Cheap as chips and almost perfectly ground for use right out of the box. I like the 106 too for a bit longer reach sometimes.

I have the shorter version of this knife...Love it

Bushmaster Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,934 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crookedknife View Post
    I've thought about making this post for a long time, but I have hesitated because I don't want to sound elitist or like a know-it-all.
    Man, that has never stopped me. heh heh Really nice work there Jim.
    The only thing you deserve is what you earn.

Longbeard's SHEMAGHS and RIDGELINES

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Longbeard For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast