Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new EDC canvas haversack messenger bag..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,845 Times in 2,436 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default My new EDC canvas haversack messenger bag..

So I saw this bag in a thread posted by a guest a month or so back, and I bookmarked it. It's a made in china copycat bag of the colonial bag Will Smith wears in the movie I Am Legend. The original bag is not in production anymore, and I really liked the design of it. I wanted to see better "real life" photos of the bag, which the thread didn't have.. so I hope this can satisfy some of the people's curiosities who were interested in it like me.

Plus, it was only $40 and had good reviews everywhere I checked so I figured I would take the punt as I have been needing a decent messenger/haversack bag for a variety of reasons.. and i burn two twenties on useless crap all the time. It's perfect for short day hikes, trips to friends, toting around in the car with your goodies and edc items. The bag is of a solid quality, cotton canvas, stitching was all good and materials really pretty solid for a $40 bag. Most messenger bags I that I liked the look of were all well over $100. I was a bit skeptical about the made in China bit, but really for $40 I was delightfully surprised.

It's one main compartment, with a zip pocket within the main bag. It also has pouches on the front and sides. Again, it's really made fairly well and will last you long over your $40 worth of use. Plus, I really love the look of it.. that was it's main selling point for me. The solid construction was a bonus. Funnily enough, this bags size and ease of use will probably cause me to use this bag more than any other bag I own. It's very convenient for multi-tasking.

Here is the factory photo:

Here are some photos taken at the end of the day in bad lighting, apologies folks:

(Apologies for leaving the flaps open, it looks a lot better with them folded in, hopefully you get the idea)

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase. This is going to make for a fantastic EDC bag, able to fill a wide variety of purposes and uses. The canvas is thick cotton canvas, textured. The build really is solid, (much better than the haversack and ammo bags I got from Rotcho). All the stitching is aligned, no missing stitches or anything. Apparently it's a very successful seller for them so they put an extra eye to detail to keep up quality control on this bag, as they produce ton of them.

It has plenty of space for anything and everything I want to tote around on day trips, ample pouches and pockets. I have it about a third filled in the photos. The one drawback I have is that it has straps with real brass buckles, but it also has these little magnetic "snap on" bits at the bottom of the straps in case you don't want to go to the trouble of unbuckling the straps.. I think I might superglue those.. even though they are helpful.. it kind of lessens the experience to me.. I like undoing the straps!

I have debated whether or not to wax it.. I'm not sure if it's the right canvas for that. It's not like the smooth canvas on my LL Bean bag, it's the same kind of canvas on my Rotcho haversack and ammo bag (that I used as a fire kit). Maybe someone can answer this for me. I really do love this bag, it's the perfect size for me. I threw some books you are all familiar with in there for scale. The bag definitely looks like it's worth a lot more than I paid for it, I've had several compliments.

Here is the cheapest link on the net (the one I used), other people sell the exact same bag for a lot more money.. The only place that was literally two dollars cheaper was alibabaexpress, but I would rather go through eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1038-Men-Wom...item4ab01e0ae0 - LINK FIXED.

It arrived in exactly 10 days from the purchase date, very quick from China. If anyone has any questions just lemme know, I'll be happy to answer them. If your in the market for a good EDC bag or haversack for short day hikes.. I really recommend this bag. The shoulder strap is seriously comfortable and solid as they come. Also, it can be easily modded to become even more sturdy if you want to abuse it. The magnetic snaps have no adverse effect on the bag at all, they don't pop open when holding or picking it up.. I'm just not a fan of them is all, I prefer to use the straps.

If you have any other questions just ask, I hope this helps anyone who was interested in the bag but a bit skeptical like I was.
    Last edited by Exy; 03-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Also,

while I was taking photos of the bag.. there was this crazy bird on my back porch trying to attack itself in a mirror my lady left out there.. this was 2 hours ago.. I'm not joking when I tell you it's still out there right now banging up against the mirror:

Crazy little bugger has issues to deal with.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Exy For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Thanks for the posts man, I always liked the haversack in that movie too but had no luck in finding it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cahlan For This Useful Post:

Exy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 502 Posts

Very nice! I'm not a fan of messenger bags in the bush, but I use them around the city (especially on the bicycle). This one looks a lot nicer than the two I have (one is a Roots, the other is a marketing merchandise thing).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ned For This Useful Post:

Exy

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Very nice! I'm not a fan of messenger bags in the bush, but I use them around the city (especially on the bicycle). This one looks a lot nicer than the two I have (one is a Roots, the other is a marketing merchandise thing).
    Agreed,

this is more of an EDC bag for me.. But I wouldn't hesitate to bring it on a little day hike or snoop around. It has the capacity for a nice day trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,169 Times in 1,953 Posts

I've been eying this bag. Thanks for posting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rlh2 For This Useful Post:

Exy

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Fixed the link,

I accidentally had it linked to a British currency checkout before its fixed to dollars now.

Also I might add,

it really is the same bag as in the factory photo.

Tracker
    Thanks

The bag looks awesome! I had always wondered what the bag was that Will Smith carried in I am Legend.

Thanks

Great bag and great reading material contained therein.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hog For This Useful Post:

Exy

Tracker
    Thanks

Tag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast