Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here are the Carving Tools That I Recommend

Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Tools for Bowls, Spoons, and Kuksas (Updated 6/18/2013)

I've been wanting to make this thread for a while and finally got around to it. Here are the tools that I recommend for different levels of carving.

To start, here are the non-edged tools that I feel are necessary.

1: A good strop loaded with compound (chromium oxide, or other). It's very important to keep your knives and axes sharp while carving.

2: A good tool bag (I use this one, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UTQFGaVXLzI). It might not be "necessary," but I like to be able to carry all of my tools in one bag.

3: I like to wear a glove on my left hand to protect myself from my knives. I just got these that are supposed to be cut-resistant. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4: I like to keep a pencil and a sketch pad in my bag. I use the pencil to draw the design on the piece of wood and the pad to sketch designs that I might want to make in the future.

5: I also keep an apron in my bag to keep the wood chips off my clothes.
    8517844210_821710dc00_c.jpg

Here is my tool bag,

8516723497_39ae259243_c.jpg

NOTE: The rubber mallet is for hammering the back of a gouge.

Okay, now for the sets.

Set 1: Someone just starting to carve that doesn't know if he/she is going to follow through with the hobby or doesn't want to spend too much money. You will mainly be able to make spoons with this set, but you could make bowls and kuksas. However, it would take quite a long time to hollow the carving out. You could easily add a gouge to help with that.

8516724365_d1a6c33fa2_c.jpg

ITEMS:

Mora 120. It only cost about $20 and I haven't found anything wrong with it.

Wetterlings Wildlife axe. This isn't ideal, but it works very well for a beginning carver.

Mora 164 hook knife. Now, this is by far not the best spoon knife. However, if you have the ability to reprofile the edge a bit thinner it will be very serviceable. You could also get a better spoon knife from someone like Del Stubbs (http://pinewoodforge.com) or Paul Jones of Deepwoods Ventures (http://www.deepwoodsventures.com/index.html). Paul was VERY kind when I gave him some constructive criticism about the spoon knife he made me. He even sent me a prototype of a new spoon knife for free.

Saw. You really could use any saw that you have, but I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-7395...rds=corona+saw. I think a straight bladed one would work better than this, but it's just what I have.

SET 2: This set would be useful for someone that is more serious about carving and wants a great set. You can always add anything else you need. This set would work great for spoons, bowls, kuksas, and anything else you could this of.

8516728371_d4e607752e_c.jpg

ITEMS:

Gransfors Bruks Swedish Carving Axe. If you can afford it, it is really nice. You can literally feel the hand-made quality.

Mora 120. Same as above.

Saw. Same as above.

Pfeil #7 bent gouge. I got a good deal on this on E-Bay for about $30-40. You would probably want to get a rubber mallet to chase the gouge.

Deepwoods Ventures spoon knife. This one doesn't work that well for spoons, but it is great for rough hollowing bowls and kuksas.

Deepwoods Ventures spoon knife prototype. Paul said he was going to add it to his lineup sometime, but he hasn't added it yet. This one works great for spoons, and the finish work for hollowing bowls and kuksas.

I hope this will help someone.
    Last edited by Erdbeereis; 06-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Here are the Carving Tools That I Recommend

Double...
    Last edited by Erdbeereis; 04-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Nice pointers, thanks!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stronghorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have some of Del's tools from Pinewoodforge, a carving knife, spoon knife, and kolrosing knife. They are really great tools.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bush Bear For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

I have been wanting to get into this for a while. Now I know what tools to get. Thank you!

Wanna be trapper Supporter
    Thanks

Thanks alot. That is very nice. I have thought about trying to carve something and wondered what all I would be getting into, now I know. Any idea on the cost of the different kits?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bertha626 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks and nice post. I have some similiar tools. Just recently got a few flex cut tools and really like them too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NGshooter17 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do you have a better picture of Paul's prototype spoon knife? I have one of his spoon knives but was wondering how it compares to the prototype. Nice tools by the way.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I'm glad I could help some of you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bertha626 View Post
    Thanks alot. That is very nice. I have thought about trying to carve something and wondered what all I would be getting into, now I know. Any idea on the cost of the different kits?
    The first set woulld be around $160 give or take $10-20. That's including the tool bag.

The second one would be about $350. But you get a lot more tools.

Quote Originally Posted by RKP View Post
    Do you have a better picture of Paul's prototype spoon knife? I have one of his spoon knives but was wondering how it compares to the prototype. Nice tools by the way.
    Will do, I'm on vacation right now, but I'll do it when I get back on Thursday.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erdbeereis For This Useful Post:

Scout Supporter
    Vendor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 445 Posts

Nice job posting this and thanks for all the details !

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bully For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast