Thread: Okefenokee Swamp Camping Trip

Thanks

Default Okefenokee Swamp Camping Trip

I was planning a solo trip to the Okefenokee Swamp. However, my cousin's spring break plans dissolved so he's joining me. He's not a camper , he been camping before and it put a bad taste in his mouth. Hopefully this will change his mind. If anyone has Okefenokee Swamp advice or advice on reluctant campers please chime in. Also i will be doing a chop off with the BK9 and the ESEE Junglas.

Tracker
    Thanks

Maybe give him a cool knife at the beginning of the trip

Tracker
    Thanks

I'm not familiar with the environment, but I feel like bug spray is a good idea in any swamp and that it could make or break camping for your cousin. Also you might want to stay away from a long hike in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
    Maybe give him a cool knife at the beginning of the trip
    i already gave him one and i plan to let him play with my trail hawk and bk9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boonemarshall View Post
    I'm not familiar with the environment, but I feel like bug spray is a good idea in any swamp and that it could make or break camping for your cousin. Also you might want to stay away from a long hike in.
    yes it's car camping at a well kept state park with power and water at the site.

Scout
    Thanks

When you say you're going camping in the Okefenokee, are you planning on getting a permit for one of the interior sites or looking to stay at a park? On the western side of the refuge is the Steven Foster State Park. Administered by the state of GA, it's a typical state park with some very nice campsites along with bathhouses, complete with showers, and also laundry facilities. You can also rent cabins at Steven Foster and there is a small shop where you can rent canoes or jon boats with motors for traveling along the waterways.

If you want to camp in the swamp itself you'll need to apply for a permit with the US Fish & Wildlife Service. They grant overnight permits over the phone and at the current time you can only get your permit two weeks prior to your trip's start; typically it's a 60 day period but lack of rainfall and problems with interior shelters due to past fires has cut back on the time. You can call to get a permit from 7-10 AM, Monday through Friday. The number to call is: 912 496-3331. If you end up staying at one of the interior sites you will be allowed to stay one night at each location. Sites are typically 20'x20' wooden platforms suspended above the water but there are a few land based sites as well. Right now, due to past fires, I think the number of interior sites has been reduced down to 3 so there's lots of competition for the remaining places. Also, based on the interior site you draw, you may need to enter the swamp from the Steven Foster site on the west, from the east via the Suwannee Canal or towards the northeast corner of the park at Kingfisher Landing.

There are also some nice places to camp outside Folkston, GA on the east side of the refuge. If you don't need a lot in the way of facilities, although there are bathrooms with showers, you might want to check into Trader's Hill Campground. Trader's Hill is just up a small hill from the St. Mary's River. There is a nice boat launch site there as well as a place to swim. Sites at Trader's Hill aren't really set aside. You kind of find your place near a picnic table underneath the live oak trees and just set up. The folks there have always been nice to us and I enjoy going back each year; and will be going back again in about 3 weeks.

I hope that helps. If there's something else I might be able to do to help you out, just let me know. Until then...Be well.

snapper

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snapper For This Useful Post:

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified madmax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,581 Times in 1,825 Posts

Make sure he has some permethrin soaked clothing and DEET. A comfy chair and good food. A really nice sleeping pad does wonders for attitude on the second day.
    I would not have chosen the Okeefenokee to change his mind about camping, but best of luck converting him back to camping.

Thanks

I just got back from my trip and my cousin had a good time. Here are some pics. WP_20130306_004.jpgWP_20130306_005.jpgWP_20130306_017.jpgWP_20130306_015.jpgWP_20130307_005.jpg

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranger John For This Useful Post: