Thread: Scary Sharp Method of Knife Sharpening

Scout
    Thanks

Default Scary Sharp Method of Knife Sharpening

I know the value of sharp tools and I need a low cost scandi grind sharpening system.

I have been looking at the "Scary Sharp" method of taking float glass or marble tile and adhering wet/dry sandpaper in various grits to it for sharpening. I know this is very popular for woodworking tools and I have to assume the cost is rather low compared to Japanese Wet stones and the like.

Does anyone have any experience with this method or can you offer other ideas for a low cost sharpening system?

Thanks,
    CC

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,270 Posts

I've used that method for chisels and knives.
    Works quite well.
    Jack

Thanks
    Thanked 8,690 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Items for Sale

I use it in the shop. I have a trued, thick steel plate and clamp grits in succession as needed. For scandis, other than using a waterstone I don't think it can be beat personally. YMMV

Cookpot Hoarder Supporter Spork's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,032 Posts

I've used that method for years, but I don't consider it low cost except maybe to start up. If I were to add up the cost of the sleeves of different grades of wet-dry paper I've gone through all these years...it would have probably got me several sets of stones

Even so, it is very effective and I still use it.
    Dave

Tracker
    Thanks

hi mate,

i used this method on my knives when im out for a while now, there is a guy that i brought it from that has a good range, great prices and it lasts forever, heres a link;
    http://workshopheaven.com/cgi-bin/cp...OME:Sharpening

hope this helps
    mike

Scout
    Thanks

I've been using scary sharp for several years now ....

To start I picked up a piece of marble floor tile and some sandpaper in 120, 180, and 220 grits ... I added 400, 600, and 1500 a little later on.

I use a spray adhesive to attach pieces of the paper to the marble tile ... a different grit on all 4 sides, then I just work my way around the tile.

Most of the time I don't need to go much above 220 for my normal day to day knives ..... but the polish you get from 1500 is great!

A couple of pieces of an old thick leather belt for stropping and your in business.

Thanks

I use Scary Sharp on all my woodworking tools and kitchen knifes. Capt'n is right in picking up a marble tile, get one at Depot for a $1 most times, but for wet dry paper go to your Auto Parts store. They've got excellent quality paper at cheap prices in grits from 150 to 2500 usually. All my edges are shaving sharp after a few swipes with the 600 paper. It's the 800 to 1500 that make it Scary Sharp.

Scout
    Thanks

Another benefit is that it's a lot easier to carry a few sheets of wet dry paper in your bush bag than a number of stones .....