Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Murkwood Birch Root harvest, tea time, and sami coffee pouches..

Thanks
    Thanked 35,788 Times in 4,835 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default Murkwood Birch Root harvest, tea time, and sami coffee pouches..

Murkwood

I decided to hit the forest today for some black birch roots that I'm harvesting for tool handles for the upcoming spoon knives and other tools I'm going to be making with Matt.

The woods behind the house always reminded me of medieval england or viking territory. Dark, murky, misty swamp land full of twisted up black birch and extemely steep rocky slopes...
    Maybe that's why I had a crazy imagination growing up on this little mountain. The woods were always eerie at dusk..

Even on this cloudy day, it still reminded me of:

Well I got my first order from Donk in the mail. "One high quality, Internationally known and loved, made in America by and American DONK GRILL!"
    After seeing our northern friends [Doug and Joe] countlessly cooking steaks on one of these I had to have one. Then by fate, I met Donk in Ohio and came home really wanting one. To be honest, I instantly knew this would be a 'choice piece of gear' as Donk would say... for Jess' kit.

Here is the last known photo of the elusive man himself.

So we hit the woods with some sandwhiches and tea ready to test the Grill of Donk.

I also received a lovely gift from a member here. An 18" pack basket which just happens to fit my frost river pack perfectly. This will become a vital piece of kit. Thank you Sunny.

I like the idea of a pack basket. Sure you can put a lid on it, but I like the idea of having a strong open backpack that doesn't even feel like it's an chimpanzee clinging to your back. This is weightless and perfect for what I set out to do today.
    There was a patch of swamp where a friend gave me permission to harvest some black birch roots. So we went out to have lunch, tea, and some foraging on the way back.

Last edited by Adahy; 03-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My Website The Axe is Bold as Love
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

I'm really liking this mini axe. It was perfect when teamed up with a nice sharp saw.

I'm really having a blast with this silky saw I got from Cellis. So much easier to process wood than the bahco.

Donk grill on it's maiden voyage. Thou shall not look shiny and silver ever again! Soot all the way!

Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

BillyBass' Bushpot Sack in waxed canvas. I use it as a tinder bag as well.

Tea water is on.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Tea is ready.

The noggin kuksa.
    The tea makers kit.
    Another one of my kuksas.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

All ready to be tucked away in the pack basket. Properly seasoned.

I'm officially going to be taking orders on these Sami inspired pouches. I brought the first set Jess had sewn together. We'll have a couple of different colors. I'm going to make a thread on this for more information.

For Scale. The large one is great for tinder gathering, mushroom hunting, or for a multiple night's worth of dry food goods. The middle I was going to call the bannock bag. The smaller is perfect for coffee, tobacco, and even coins if you want to get all medieval paying for groceries.

Like anything I plan on offering for sale in my vendor area.. I want everything to compliment the forest, not contrast it with bright nasty harsh colors. These are a nice burgundy.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Ive been waiting 3 seasons for this.. and have been checking birches anxiouslyÖ it's almost sap season. Using my drifter as a probe.

Some birch polypores.. knife strop anyone?

I'm really digging the bean boots on the messy terrain. I don't have to tip toe thru swamps, I can just jump right in them.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Jess rocking' the RangerJoe hat

Grae dog was constantly up to no good. Digging at tree roots, and sloshing thru the swamp muck.

Jess levitation.

Very haunted looking 'farm' land.

More muck. This is the effort one puts into harvesting tool handles..
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Jess thought I looked kinda funny balancing on some tangled upturned birch root above a foot of water, and 2 feet of mud.

This is what I'm after. It's medicinal too.

Birch Trapeze.

She was probably waiting to get a picture of me hanging upside down tangled up in this mess.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Still an extremely comfortable ride, even loaded with this much birch root.

Time to head home in time to try to catch the Comet that will be hanging near the crescent moon tonight just after sundown.

Last edited by Adahy; 03-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,622 Times in 995 Posts

Makes me want to get out this weekend and put my Donk Grill to use... I think I will do just that. Great shots, and great review.
    My Photography Blog
    Storm Chaser, HAM Radio Operator, Adventurer, Explorer, Student of the Old Ways

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IllicitDreams For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast