Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Esbit/Alchohol Stove Set-up pics

  1. #1
    Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Panzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mordor
    Posts
    8,881
    Thanks
    6,430
    Thanked 26,990 Times in 3,654 Posts

    Default Esbit/Alchohol Stove Set-up pics

    I came up with this little set-up trying to make a lightweight and simple cooker for making joe in the field. I have had both stoves for years and used them separately with success. But together I was able to boil water in under 5 mins. in my glacier cup. The esbit acted as a stand and a windscreen. Plus it give me the option of burning esbit or twigs (I have done both in the past). There are many stove options out there but I re-purposed what I had instead of buying something new.

    This set-ups going in my day bag.







    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/


  2. #2
    Scout roweman07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    McCook, Nebrask
    Posts
    656
    Thanks
    1,518
    Thanked 925 Times in 304 Posts

    Default

    I've been thinking the Esbit or East German stove will be my next stove purchase!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to roweman07 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    2,761
    Thanks
    1,440
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 775 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roweman07 View Post
    I've been thinking the Esbit or East German stove will be my next stove purchase!
    Personally, I like the East German stove because it is smaller and seems to be made of better steel.

    BTW, very ccol idea Panzer.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdjsdj For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Scout Supporter ashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Posts
    868
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 1,269 Times in 394 Posts

    Default

    I have an Emberlit Mini Ti that I acquired an esbit tray for, from a guy over on the Hammockforum.net website. He goes by Caribou Bentspoke, and not sure he still sells them or not. I can also place a small alcohol burner on the tray. I usually use the Emberlit as a wood burner, like it's ment to be...but having the esbit or alcohol as a fallback is nice.

    I am still trying to figure out the best way to use my trangia in Emberlit, but the other little alcohol burner does fine as well.





    BushClassUSA: Lessons 2/13 -- Electives 2/5 -- Outings 0/5
    Axe Mob Member

    Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom He has chosen as His heritage. Psalms 33:12

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ashman For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Guide Roamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    By the Buenaventura, CA
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,043
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 787 Posts

    Default

    Nice setup Panzer. I'm a fan of the versatile folding Esbit stove, too. I'm experimenting with making an alky burner out of a small shoe polish tin that fits inside the Esbit stove when it's folded up. Handy concept, potentially. I think my first attempt had too many burn holes, however, and it burned a bit too fast.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Scout ESEE-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 415 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Nice way to repurpose gear. I've been wanting to try and build this
    http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ove/index.html

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ESEE-Fan For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Guide Supporter Spork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Zombiewood, CA
    Posts
    4,668
    Thanks
    1,132
    Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,079 Posts

    Default

    I've experimented with different alky burners and have come to prefer non-jetted ones. The single column of flame seems to work better with smaller vessels like canteen cups.





    I recently acquired a "Large" Esbit stove...it's bigger than the Coghlan's version and stores a entire box of 12 tablets.

    Dave

  13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spork For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    2,799
    Thanks
    4,490
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,926 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ashman View Post
    I have an Emberlit Mini Ti that I acquired an esbit tray for, from a guy over on the Hammockforum.net website. He goes by Caribou Bentspoke, and not sure he still sells them or not. I can also place a small alcohol burner on the tray. I usually use the Emberlit as a wood burner, like it's ment to be...but having the esbit or alcohol as a fallback is nice.

    I am still trying to figure out the best way to use my trangia in Emberlit, but the other little alcohol burner does fine as well.





    maybe driling two small holes on each side and using metal dowels would work great idea though has me thinking or you could make two diff sizes of coat hangers and drill small holes in a small metal block

  15. #9
    Scout ESEE-Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 415 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spork View Post
    I've experimented with different alky burners and have come to prefer non-jetted ones. The single column of flame seems to work better with smaller vessels like canteen cups.





    I recently acquired a "Large" Esbit stove...it's bigger than the Coghlan's version and stores a entire box of 12 tablets.

    Please tell me all the parts of your setup

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to ESEE-Fan For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Tracker hmichel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Neustadt-Hessen-Germany
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 45 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdjsdj View Post
    Personally, I like the East German stove because it is smaller and seems to be made of better steel.
    I have both. The east german is not as stable as the esbit stove and it rusts.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to hmichel777 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •